to paint tank or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heat-shrink plastic tubing over the tank seems like an even worse idea than paint from a rust-hiding standpoint. Paint at least adheres to the tank sealing most of the water out. These things simply wrap the tank in plastic but it wont fill any scratches or texture in the surface and will probably trap water against the surface. Those areas will get wet and stay wet just like the worst tank boots.

They designed it so you could cut the heat shrink plastic off and reuse the image after a viz, but it would be too expensive to remove it after every dive trip to let it dry out like it should. If you do put one on, don't bother cutting it off for a viz. At least your door stop will still look pretty.

IMHO, these things are a great way to destroy your gear and look really cool :shakehead doing it.

Kim:
Not an issue with aluminium but certainly with steel is rust. You can't see what's happening with a steel tank if it's covered in paint.

Kim, one thing about that statement that has always bothered me is usually rust will cause paint to bubble and many times there will be a scratch near the bubble as well. IF a diver does his/her job and checks their gear then the rust should be caught before it is an issue.

MikeC:
Kim, one thing about that statement that has always bothered me is usually rust will cause paint to bubble and many times there will be a scratch near the bubble as well. IF a diver does his/her job and checks their gear then the rust should be caught before it is an issue.
Maybe that's true - although by the time it bubbles it can be quite far gone. I have also heard (not experienced myself) that some shops will refuse to fill a painted steel tank.

gt3073b:
Heat-shrink plastic tubing over the tank seems like an even worse idea than paint from a rust-hiding standpoint. Paint at least adheres to the tank sealing most of the water out. These things simply wrap the tank in plastic but it wont fill any scratches or texture in the surface and will probably trap water against the surface. Those areas will get wet and stay wet just like the worst tank boots.

They designed it so you could cut the heat shrink plastic off and reuse the image after a viz, but it would be too expensive to remove it after every dive trip to let it dry out like it should. If you do put one on, don't bother cutting it off for a viz. At least your door stop will still look pretty.

IMHO, these things are a great way to destroy your gear and look really cool :shakehead doing it.

ahhhh ok. thought those things were cool though.

would this premise be "correct" then (at least for steel tanks only)? --> never paint a tank on your own. if you want it colored/painted it's better to get one that is already painted by the manufacturer or from an authorized dealer.

Kim:
Maybe that's true - although by the time it bubbles it can be quite far gone. I have also heard (not experienced myself) that some shops will refuse to fill a painted steel tank.
What about factory painted tanks?

diveborg:
What about factory painted tanks?
I don't know how they do it in a factory. I suspect that there are processes involved that would be difficult to do on your own. Somewhere on SB there is a very large thread about painting tanks with a lot of information on it. I'll post the link if I come across it. That's where I read the thing about shops refusing fills.

New shiney tank = newbie???

Us old farts cant buy a new tank ever???

Is that law number? right after dont put mask on forehead????
hehehe

Spoon:
there a way to keep the aluminum spanking new throughout? maybe some type of clearcoat to leave the finish looking shiny?

Big lonely barracudas like shiny too - some sharks as well.

Santa:
Big lonely barracudas like shiny too - some sharks as well.

i doublt theyd be able to swallow a pair of double tanks:)

jonix:
instead of painting why not try something like scubahide products --> http://www.scubahides.com/

something like these perhaps?
merman_detail.gif

catalog_alltanks.jpg

well with some fuzzy dice hanging from the rear-view mirror of your dive vehicle. Very kitsch...

I've never understood the need to decorate something that is essentially a 'tool'...kind of like putting a mural on a table saw...

Back
Top Bottom