Tips and tricks for tools and techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score
Having gladly stolen lots of great knowledge from the collective experience of the people here ate the board, I offer a tiny tool trick.

These are great for dealing with most port plugs:

Park AWS-1 Y Allen Wrench 4-5-6 - Excel Sports

Any bike shop should sell them for about $10.00. They are much more useful than they should be.

Also comes in a ball end version:
Park AWS-8 Ball Bondhus Y Allen Wrench - Excel Sports

This little one is good for fewer things but is just as nice to use:
Park Tool Website

If you got some tool or technique tips, share away.

Old (empty) CO2 cartridge screwed into a 3/8th port makes a great handle when working on 1st stages.

Old (empty) CO2 cartridge screwed into a 3/8th port makes a great handle when working on 1st stages.

If you don't have a Scuba Tools universal wrench, a strap wrench can be used to open the main body.

A watch case opener (I bought one on ebay for about $10 including shipping) can be used to remove the seat retainer.

A plastic straw from your local hamburger joint can be used to protect a piston stem during installation and when it is out of the body.

Various size straws can be used when installing o-rings over threads, stems, etc.

scubatools_2_.JPG

Couv

Last edited:

4 to 6 inch long 3/8 x 24 (SAE fine thread) bolts are also a good and are stronger than co2 cartridges. These are a little hard to find at the home stores but good hardware stores will have them

4 to 6 inch long 3/8 x 24 (SAE fine thread) bolts are also a good and are stronger than co2 cartridges. These are a little hard to find at the home stores but good hardware stores will have them

Stronger may not be better. I considered the steel bolt but decided that between the fact it did not have a shoulder to limit its depth and that the brass threads would sustain damage before the steel threads, I'd go with old hose ends (HP and LP). I also have port adapters (3/8 to 7/16 and 7/16 to 3/8) if I need to grip it in a vise like with an unbalanced piston.

True. I put the bolt in by hand, back it out a turn or 2 and then use a jam nut to make sure it does not move. I like the length the bolts give me to clamp it in a vise.

You can double jam nut the bolt with the correct amount of thread exposed, about 5/16"

Stronger may not be better. I considered the steel bolt but decided that between the fact it did not have a shoulder to limit its depth and that the brass threads would sustain damage before the steel threads, I'd go with old hose ends (HP and LP). .

That's an interesting point. The ScubaTools tool is steel as well.

(Lucky for me, I have no gear I need to keep alive. If it breaks/strips during disassmbly, it is retired.)

A watch case opener (I bought one on ebay for about $10 including shipping) can be used to remove the seat retainer.

Couv

If you have large snap ring pliers with right-angle tips, they can be used to remove a seat retainer as well.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom