Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive shop does not allow instructors or DMs to accept tips. So it is a non issue here.

Tip!
I consider it part of the total cost of the trip especially when the experience has been fun, interactive and I feel the urge to give extra as they did.

I'm surprised by how how few seem to tip and have so many reasons for not doing it.
Theres a huge difference between tipping a guide on a dive trip and tipping an instructor for a course...

Theres a huge difference between tipping a guide on a dive trip and tipping an instructor for a course...
I see the difference and possibly wouldn't tip for a course in my backyard. Definitely tipped for courses taken on trips tho.

I would feel odd tipping for a course instructor or a DM in the US (or Australia) where fees are higher and I hope to goodness that the prices include a respectable payment for the instructor. I would totally (and have) bought lunches, drinks, or a bottle of local wine.

That being said, my daughter certified in Roatan in 2015. Her instructor was fantastic, she was his only student, and even post certification when he was DM there was always a learning moment or something extra she was shown. (Do I sound jealous?) She tipped him over half of everything she brought for trip extras, $80. He was really pleased, so I'm guessing that must have been exceptional --but it still feels right.

We tipped the DMs and captain in a lump at the end. I think we were well over 10%, but actually I regret that we weren't tipping on a daily basis. Have to work on that this year.

I'll bite. I've paid $2,350 in instructor's fees for my last 6-day class in FL. This did not include location access fees, tank rentals, gas fills, card issue fees, or any other fees. There was one other student in the class. Neither of us tipped the instructor; the thought didn't even cross our minds. Should we have budgeted another $235-470 (10-20%) each for a tip?

I think it's simple. If your occupation requires tipping, you are not a professional.

I would like to think a Scuba instructor is a professional and tipping would seem condescending. Do you tip the architect designing your house or your accountant doing your taxes?

Last edited:
i always tell my students that an appropriate instructor tip is $1,000. So far I have collected zero. This is still a work in progress. :nyah:

Seriously though, when teaching i refuse tips. I'm getting paid for teaching and by refusing a tip i get a lot of people coming back and sending referrals. Some people force tips on me; i've found $50 laying in my car with a voicemail laughing about it. Also when refusing a tip, people often insist on buying my lunch, dinner, drinks, etc. If my schedule allows i do accept that.

Working as crew (DM and deckhand) we always get tips. Generally, i tell students to tip crew $10 per tank. This is pretty typical for south Florida diving.

Also when refusing a tip, people often insist on buying my lunch, dinner, drinks, etc. If my schedule allows i do accept that.

That's what I did back in 91 when I was certified. We went out after one of the pool sessions and I paid for his dinner and then after we finished the OW dives I did the same thing. I think that's a reasonable approach if you want to do something for your instructor.

i always tell my students that an appropriate instructor tip is $1,000. So far I have collected zero. This is still a work in progress. :nyah:

Seriously though, when teaching i refuse tips. I'm getting paid for teaching and by refusing a tip i get a lot of people coming back and sending referrals. Some people force tips on me; i've found $50 laying in my car with a voicemail laughing about it. Also when refusing a tip, people often insist on buying my lunch, dinner, drinks, etc. If my schedule allows i do accept that.

Working as crew (DM and deckhand) we always get tips. Generally, i tell students to tip crew $10 per tank. This is pretty typical for south Florida diving.

That's what I did back in 91 when I was certified. We went out after one of the pool sessions and I paid for his dinner and then after we finished the OW dives I did the same thing. I think that's a reasonable approach if you want to do something for your instructor.

I think by that approach you will more than likely end up with the instructor and student as good friends and future dive (& drinking) buddies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom