Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whoji--I usually err on the side of offering a tip unless I know in advance that it is not apropriate for a given culture (in which case it would probably be refused anyway). Bottom line for me is that if I am spending thousands on a dive trip then I can afford to be generous with those who have gone out of their way to make the trip more pleasant. It might only be a small amount of money for me, but it can make a huge difference in the income of those who do the work to make my trip more enjoyable.

Kamchatka, I'm with you on the 72 virgins. Please refrain from the suicide bombings underwater as it damages the coral and it ain't so good for the fish either.

Does it matter one way or other why?
.. what is the custom at the place you are going? Mexico is a big country

.. maybe we should all find out what the customs are to the place we are going to visit .. It might be a good idea

I agree entirely.

However my point was by introducing tipping to a culture that does not tip has change the culture for ever.

Some may argue for good, some for bad. But still they argue

Why should we care that does the damage.

I do tip in places where it is the custom, states etc. But in Mexico is that the culture or is it only assumed because of the amount of American visitors.

For some tipping is the norm so they do it at will, for others it is not so tipping becomes selective.

......However my point was by introducing tipping to a culture that does not tip has change the culture for ever.
good point whoji

eg vanuatu (my fav dive destiantion in the world, been there 6 times now).

tipping is rude and against their culture, but if you know the indigenious people you know what they appreciate is your time and the effort in getting to know them and share what you can with them

we always make a point to leave whatever we can when we leave vanuatu - dive gear, clothing, cosmetics, batteries, flashlights, everything we can because they dont have the income that the western world has. if i was to try to slip them a few dollars (which i did try on my 1st newbie trip there) it embarrasses the person and therefore me (and im happy to embarress myself by being stupid, just not the other person whos intentions are kind and thoughtful)

edit: bugger, so my secret is out - yes i do tip, i just dont because i "have" to

Wow, that does sound pretty stingy and cheap :wink:

That brings up a good point, you should try to understand the culture your visiting, and if leaving behind such simple (to you) things will help locals, that's a nice thing to do, works better than money, and both peoples take away something of value

well DB, that might be part of the problem.... the US culture is tipping but i question the worth and value of that tipping.

now - to have a culture of where a dive crew member is so hard up for a $5 tip they have threaten here on SB to throw the passenger overboard doesnt seem much of a culture to me

like Wayward pointed out ealier. US pay less and tip, here - i pay more and dont tip.

maybe its time to look at the "culture" of tipping and start thinking its not working for the best of everyone... maybe the good old U S of A has it wrong and there is a better way of doing business and ensuring reasonable wages for staff

That brings up a good point, you should try to understand the culture your visiting,

Just to say more of the same..... from a non-american point of view.

I recently was spending some time for work and holidays in the US. (New York, Minnesota and Michigan.)
I thought it might be an idea to check on the local customs, and I was adviced to tip about 10-15% when the service is good and 15-20% when the service is excellent.
So when entering restaurants, bars, etc I added 20% in my mind and if the service wasn't excellent, I subtracted.

When my american boss was over in the Netherlands, we went for a meal. He paid, he is the boss and the boss pays (company policy).
The service was poor even for Dutch standards. He still wanted to tip the waitress (he doesn't speak the local lingo and missed out on the poor service). We told him not to. He then wanted to tip a little say 5%. We argued and in the end I told him that any tip left behind by him would be taken by me and given to the first person I would meet in the street that looked like they needed the money.
We are not a culture of (big) tippers. And the last thing I wanted was the waitress not getting the signal that the service was poor. (If my boss wasn't there with us, we would have gotten up and left the restaurant and found another place to eat.)

What I personally think it comes down to:

1. Check where you are going what the local customs are.
2. Realise that the whole rewardsystem in that area will most likely be set up around the local customs.
3. Adjust your normal behaviour to the local customs. As far as you are willing to do.

So if tipping 20% is normal for excellent service, be prepared to hand over 20% when you received excellent service. If that is too much than you couldn't afford the trip/activity/meal etc.

Just my 2 bar worth..

I agree with you Ice Mike, I travel quite a bit on business in Europe. My friends would get upset at me if I tried to tip. Mostly because the servers acted like they were doing us a favor by waiting on us. It seemed to be this way the majority of the time. When I did get good service, I would tip then. On repeat visits the waitress/waiter would usually remember me and we would get exceptional service.
In the US most waitresses/waiters are working for tips. I think that is why the service is better here for the most part. If I get bad service in the US, I have left very little so they get the hint.

Another 2 cents worth

the US does not pay much for service employees in some areas ... the thinking is that if they are good, they will more than make up for it in tips, and if they are not the best then that is incentive for them to improve

... bottom line? .. it saves the employers money .. and it's been that way for a long time so their not likely to change anytime soon

And just because I think that it should be something else, doesn't mean that if I was a visitor here that I should not try to adjust my thinking about tipping here, with that in mind

Yes, I agree, almost always making part of the wage dependent on individual performance seems to improve that individuals performance.................And the US does have some of the best service. Especially in small villages away from the big cities. (But that is just my personal experience)

Back
Top Bottom