Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I hate the most is when service (tip) is included in the bill and you have to pay for it, even if the service is crappy. Happens a lot in France and other parts of Europe I visited

What I hate the most is when service (tip) is included in the bill and you have to pay for it, even if the service is crappy.

Yes, but it's the same when the service is perfect and the food ( or the drink or the air) is crappy.
What about your tip in that case ?

Happens a lot in France

That's a real problem.
It happens a lot in the very busy tourist places and there are a lot in France : 70 millions of tourists each year.
Eventually, the solution is to simply avoid those places , when I go to Paris to visit Le Louvre or any other museum, I just visit it. If I want to have a drink, I wait and go elsewhere.
The same when I dive at any place, I try 1 time before to buy any package. If I can't try, I know that I take a risk, and tipping won't change anyting OMHO.
There are many no tipping places with very good services, and the contrary as well.

I'm a GP in France and even if my service is perfect, please don't give me any tip, I would be very upset.:)

Yes, but it's the same when the service is perfect and the food ( or the drink or the air) is crappy.
What about about your tip in that case ?

I give a good tip in that case.

Thanks for the up tp date info

I've never tipped on a dive boat. Then again, the only few times I was on a dive boat I was taking a class, one that I paid a substantial price for. Until I read this thread I had no idea you even tipped the boat crew. (DM/Captain/etc.)

I will consider it in the future, because it was a lack of knowledge on my part previously. However I have never had anyone help me with my gear, and I certainly don't need someone to change my tanks or get my fins off. If you can't manage a simple task like that, in or out of the water, you really have no business there in the first place.

If I don't feel that a boat ride that I already paid for is justification for a tip. Now if I elected to have a guided tour of the site that is another story, and prob. justifies a tip for the guide.

Everyone speaks of Divemasters and such working for outfits that don't pay, but everyone seems to be missing the fact that there are indeed 'mercenary' skippers out there, working for outfits that need a licensed master or operator onboard to run their dive trips. Now, in my case, I wouldn't accept ANY 'tip', as I already have arrangements with, and a very good relationship with, my local dive shop, good, honest people there, but I'm curious what other 'T-Boat', best-bidder skippers have to say on this topic.

Anyone?

MConnelly, I'm not sure I totally understand your question, but I've been a licensed 100 ton skipper in the dive industry for over ten years and I haven't run into any mercenary skippers holding local dive operators captive. Perhaps because captains' licenses in south Florida (Lauderdale & the Keys) are almost as common as dive instructor cards the market is free of these mercenaries.

It doesn't seem to be universally understood that a DM basically works for tips. When I first got in the boat business, I worked as a DM. Get to the boat at 6:30, carry 20 gal. of ice from the rest. to the boat, get bag of oranges to cut up for SI, load 90 tanks making sure that required number were nitrox and properly labeled, wipe down seating areas, fill water tanks, help passengers on board. On the way to the site give boat briefing, at the site give site briefing. Help set up and breakdown gear for those needing such help. Help in and out of the water also for those needing it. When needed act as counselor, mentor, educator and entertainer. Be prepared to sacrifice myself to help a perfect strange at a moments notice. In general, pay in the range of about 3500-4500 in gear and training to get the job. Clean the boat from any sea sick passengers and the domino affect they cause. Make sure the marine head is working properly and doesn't look and smell like a science experiment. (Even though I told you nothing goes in the head that didn't pass through you, someone still manages to plug up the head 3 times or more a week.) When we get back, unload 90 tanks from the morning trip and load on 90 more for the afternoon trip. Give the boat a good going over before the afternoon passengers. Pass off to the afternoon crew and start filling tanks. This was all for 35 dollars and tips. The whole thing took about 6 hours plus fills. I got paid 8.50 an hour for filling. That was in the days of 45 dollar 2 tank dives. Now the same dive is 100 to 110 and the DM still makes 35 or so a trip.

A live aboard DM generally makes about 100 a week plus tips. Most people thought we made about 350 a week. I hear one company only pays 75 a week for DM. I've actually heard one resort owner tell a DM part of his pay was all the sunshine. Too bad the bank doesn't take sunshine for his car payment or rent.

A good crew works hard for the guests, is well trained, makes the whole thing look easier than it is and works as a team. They have no control over the weather, current, waves, number of sharks, mantas, whales, etc... you may or may not see on the dives. Generally a crew splits tips equally. The exception, at the time, was if the Captain was the boat owner, he got none of the tip pool.

I'm always shocked by the number of crews that practically beg for tips. If you do your job WELL, the people feel like you added positively to the experience and usually show some appreciation. Just a side note. To any of you that leave all your extra booze as a tip for the live aboard crew, they are forbidden to drink for the duration of the rotation, usually 6-9 weeks. What is greatly appreciated is to leave any extra batteries, mag. or books and DVD's.

As far as the custom of tipping goes. As divers, we get to travel and interact with cultures from all over the world. I try to make it a practice to learn as much as I can about the area I'm going to. I always go by the When in Rome mentality. I've been known to give the shoes off my feet and the shirt off my back. (It's amazing how much a pair of Nikes or a sports team tee shirt is worth in other places. )

Scubaskipper - That is right on the money..Could not have said that better myself...

So to ******** "all" that think tipping is bad or not in your culture. Respectfully - Do not ever knock anyone for doing you a service. You can choose to tip or not to tip. But do not insult them nor mock them or belittle them. Even if that is the path they chose...it is not an invitation to **** on them because they want to make your dive charter an enjoyable experience. Local or abroad.

safe and enjoyable diving folks.

Back
Top Bottom