Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lightwalk333

Registered
Reaction score
South Florida, then Caribbean, then Mid East/Afric
# of dives
0 - 24
what is the averagetipping when taking a boat out? I'll be in Key West, as part of my Advanced Cert trip. When I asked About any xtra xpnses There was dinner of cousre, T's and suggested we offer tip to either DM or captain (honestly not sure who). I'll be doing cruise also. That leaves me with cruise people (how $ ?) and local, Cozumel- La Baddee (Haiti) And some other sites. Oh yeah, on the cruise, the only thing I'll be "renting" are my tanks unless of course you w/ more experience can offer greater insight. Thanks a lot

DMs and dive boat crew members don't deserve tips. They are almost universally lazy, and there is no reason for a paying passenger to subsidize their misguided carreer decisions. This is especially true if you set your own dive gear up or otherwise don't feel you need or want the alleged "services" that these slackers purport to provide. If they are so stupid as to work for free in the first place, there's really no need for you to give them another thought. You owe them nothing more than your contempt.

:popcorn:

DMs and dive boat crew members don't deserve tips. They are almost universally lazy, and there is no reason for a paying passenger to subsidize their misguided carreer decisions. This is especially true if you set your own dive gear up or otherwise don't feel you need or want the alleged "services" that these slackers purport to provide. If they are so stupid as to work for free in the first place, there's really no need for you to give them another thought. You owe them nothing more than your contempt.

Dead on! Especially in Wreck Valley.:wink:

ahem!

unless of course the DM is a indigenous person from where you are diving (ie, a local and not an american), then i would tip or give them a gift (as for some customs, tipping is offensive)

if the dm is an american i revert to RJP's post above :D

When pricing a dive trip I automatically add in a 25-30% tip to the cost of the dives for tips - for great service thats what I give. For okay service 20% - for less than that I can't say because I have been lucky enough to not have that experience. I don't break down the tip and leave it to the "team" to handle that. So much of the experience is dependent on the divemaster and crew and they rely on tips.

In Key West you tip for everything. It's a finely tuned instrument.

Seriously though...an appropriate tip in Key West is 5 bucks per tank per diver and double that if you really feel you loved the crew.

I'll give you a tip for KW...avoid Reef Raiders. It's a cattle boat operation that loves to take people to crappy sites and thinks that 30 minutes is a good amount of BT. JMHO. They frequently cater to the cruise ship crowd and that generally means time constraints and horrible "I'll probably never see these people again anyway" service.

Have fun!!:D

unless of course the DM is a indigenous person from where you are diving (ie, a local and not an american), then i would tip or give them a gift (as for some customs, tipping is offensive)

if the dm is an american i revert to RJP's post above :D

Only problem here in the US is that for some strange reason all the locals ARE American. (At least the indigenous ones any way.)

Tipping on a dive boat is like tipping in a resturant or anywhere else.
It should have nothing to do with what country or state you are from. Tipping is a show of appreciation of service added.
The guys working on dive boats are doing a job, just like everyone else. People like RJP, if he is serious are very misguided. And don't know the facts.
All the "grunt work" is done by the crew on a dive boat. Prior to and after you are gone.
$ 5.00 per tank is a basic tip - more if you choose to for what you feel is added service or courtesy.
Not everyone can be "big bucks guy". We here in the Keys live here by choice, and unfortunately live with a reduced pay scale (in all trades & services).
Tips are appreciated and are not included in the price of dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom