Roatan - Looking for something similar to Villa Aldora (Cozumel)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all!
My husband and I have been divers for the past 6-7 years, but have only dove in Texas (Lake Travis) and Cozumel. We've been to Cozumel 8+ at this point and have our visits down to a science. We always stay at Villa Aldora and dive with Aldora. However, I'm planning a trip for late-August for our anniversary and am eyeing Roatan. Reasons being:
- Ready to try somewhere new
- Roatan is further south and seems less likely to be impacted by any early hurricane/tropical storm weather (pls correct me if I'm wrong)
- Flight options are better coming from Austin (with schedules, we have to fly Tuesday - Monday, and most flights to Coz that time period are $$$)

Based on my research, it seems like options are to stay in West Bay, West End or a dive-focused resort like Anthony's Key Resort. I'm struggling to really get a feel for the difference between the different areas on the island. For those that have visited Roatan and Cozumel, any insight into which area is more like Villa Aldora? Why we love staying there and what is really important to us:

1. Small, boutique style accommodations. Villa Aldora is by no means a 5 star resort, but the staff is top-notch, keep everything impeccably clean, saltwater pool to cool off in the afternoons, easy access to great snorkeling right off the front wall, amazing sunsets - very quiet and calm. Staying at a large AI with 15-30+ people in a pool is not my scene.
2. Did I mention the snorkeling? We typically stay 6-7 days and only dive 2-3 days. I'm not focused on getting in as many dives as possible and like lazy days where I can get up late and just snorkel, but still see fish, rays, etc. Easy access to snorkeling is very important.
3. Near great food! Villa Aldora is just north of town. We normally rent a car, but if not, still a manageable 15+ minute walk into San Miguel proper. I am not interested in being stuck at a resort, eating limited food options and it takes 30+minutes to get anywhere else.

Beyond accommodations, my only other concern is how crowded the area is when cruise ships are in town. In Cozumel, we are either north at the Villa, or further in town, finding great food spots like La Conchita del Caribe, off Ave. 65. It's very easy to explore the town and enjoy yourself, far away from all the hub-bub on the main drag. Is that experience possible in Roatan?

As this is our 15th anniversary, I really want to make the right decision on where to travel. My impression is Roatan will be just as fun and enjoyable as Cozumel, but would love insights from those who have visited both. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!!

Hi all!
My husband and I have been divers for the past 6-7 years, but have only dove in Texas (Lake Travis) and Cozumel. We've been to Cozumel 8+ at this point and have our visits down to a science. We always stay at Villa Aldora and dive with Aldora. However, I'm planning a trip for late-August for our anniversary and am eyeing Roatan. Reasons being:
- Ready to try somewhere new
- Roatan is further south and seems less likely to be impacted by any early hurricane/tropical storm weather (pls correct me if I'm wrong)
- Flight options are better coming from Austin (with schedules, we have to fly Tuesday - Monday, and most flights to Coz that time period are $$$)

Based on my research, it seems like options are to stay in West Bay, West End or a dive-focused resort like Anthony's Key Resort. I'm struggling to really get a feel for the difference between the different areas on the island. For those that have visited Roatan and Cozumel, any insight into which area is more like Villa Aldora? Why we love staying there and what is really important to us:

1. Small, boutique style accommodations. Villa Aldora is by no means a 5 star resort, but the staff is top-notch, keep everything impeccably clean, saltwater pool to cool off in the afternoons, easy access to great snorkeling right off the front wall, amazing sunsets - very quiet and calm. Staying at a large AI with 15-30+ people in a pool is not my scene.
2. Did I mention the snorkeling? We typically stay 6-7 days and only dive 2-3 days. I'm not focused on getting in as many dives as possible and like lazy days where I can get up late and just snorkel, but still see fish, rays, etc. Easy access to snorkeling is very important.
3. Near great food! Villa Aldora is just north of town. We normally rent a car, but if not, still a manageable 15+ minute walk into San Miguel proper. I am not interested in being stuck at a resort, eating limited food options and it takes 30+minutes to get anywhere else.

Beyond accommodations, my only other concern is how crowded the area is when cruise ships are in town. In Cozumel, we are either north at the Villa, or further in town, finding great food spots like La Conchita del Caribe, off Ave. 65. It's very easy to explore the town and enjoy yourself, far away from all the hub-bub on the main drag. Is that experience possible in Roatan?

As this is our 15th anniversary, I really want to make the right decision on where to travel. My impression is Roatan will be just as fun and enjoyable as Cozumel, but would love insights from those who have visited both. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!!
I have been to Coz 7 times, stayed at the Aldora as recently as two weeks ago. Have also been to West End in Roatan two times and would suggest the Seagrape Plantation.
Dive op on premises so literally a one minute walk to the dive boats. Pool also on premises. Maybe a 8 minute walk to town with a grocery store and several restaurants. Also good snorkeling right there in Half Moon Bay. It’s worth a look.

Just want to add that it is a family owned business (Seagrape) and the dive shop was excellent.

Great question. I have no idea. Villa Aldora and diving with Aldora worked well for us, and if there is something like that in Roatan, I would be interested. As I see it, the wonderful thing about the Villa is that it is NOT a dive resort. It's just a relatively modest but comfortable guesthouse that happens to be affiliated with a top-notch dive op that will pick you up there.

As for the food on Roatan, I found nothing that compares with Mexican food. There is indeed such a thing as Honduran cuisine, but it was quite the task to find it. Resorts assume their guests want "international" (read: boring) food. Roatan is a nice change of pace from Cozumel if you dive there frequently, but I just like Mexico.

There is only one place in Roatan that compares to the Aldora experience.
I can very highly recommend Barefoot Cay and their inhouse shop barefoot divers.
The accommodations are first class.
The beach is raked multiple times a day to eliminate the bugs.
Food and drinks were very good also.

Thanks all! I'll take a look at those two spots.

No idea about comparable to Villa Aldora, but know West End in Roatan pretty well. The folks at Seagrape are good. We have a place that is part of Cocolobo next door. There are two types of accommodation at Cocolobo, condos and lodges (ours is lodge D). Condos are all sea-facing and have a large balcony overlooking the waterfront that's about 50' away. Usually a king-sized bed/living area with a small kitchenette and nice bathroom behind the bedroom. Breakfast is included, you're on your own for lunch & dinner. Perfect for 2 people. The lodges are behind the condos and typically have one bedroom with a king & en-suite bathroom, plus a 2nd bedroom with two full or two queens and an en-suite bathroom. There will also be a full kitchen, living room and dining room, a wrap-around balcony with BBQ and more seating etc. You can still eat breakfast over at the bar area with the condos, and you're on your own for lunch & dinner. You can make it yourself with the fully equipped kitchen, or head in to town. Perfect for 4-6 people. We've done 8 using cots/ air bed and the daybed upstairs.

Town is an 5-10 minute walk depending on your speed! You'll pass Loretta's on the way, a good place for dinner. You'll also pass Sundowners, good food drink and people! Lots of good diving ops are also within walking distance, including our personal choice - Sundivers. Our kids (5 aged, 14-26) have been going there for a number of years now and are comfortable walking into town and getting something to eat or just walking the strip up & down, or going to the dive ops. Most of the dive ops will have smaller boats than AKR and will provide a more personal experience. All of them will use the same dive spots, of which there are plenty. Most of them will head to a dive spot and if there's a boat already there, they'll move on to another one close by so as not to crowd in, AKR will often times be the exception there as they'll usually pick their spot before leaving the dock and go to it regardless of who might already be there. Most boat rides will be 5-10 minutes of the dock, maybe 15 if there's somewhere specific you want to go see.

We're usually there in July right up until the youngest are back in school, 2nd week in August. You may get the occasional morning sprinkle of warm water but shouldn't have to worry about rainy season. We've gone in October and had some rain and wind, but nothing that serious, boats mostly still heading out. End of October and November is when you'll likely see more bad weather.

Cocolobo Resort in West End, Honduras

Hello Emily- I think I suggested on TA that you check out this board. My husband (diver) and I (non diver) just returned yesterday from a week in West End for our first trip to Roatan. We have only been to Honduras once- about 7 years ago to Utila. I had been reading and hearing about the diving there for years and I am the trip planner. I do a lot of research. We stayed at Brisas del Mar which is at one end of the West End area (opposite end from Seagrape) and husband dove with Island Diving there. His dives were excellent and Beto, the divemaster he dove with for 5 days (10 dives) was great!! Everyone we met from Beto, to the mate they called Junior to the wonderful boat captain, Joell, took great care of us. The boat rides to the dive sites were usually around 10 minutes or so- the boat returned to the dock during the dive interval rather than staying out. We really enjoyed Brisas but it would not give you the snorkeling right there. I had some great snorkels going out on the boat though- 5 minute ride from the dock on property.
We are not foodies but travel alot and enjoy good food and we thought the food we had in West End was all delicious and very, very reasonably priced to cheap in some places. We ate at many different places and never had a bad or mediocre meal.
The people were all so very friendly and helpful and we walked all over West End- no need for a vehicle. We really liked the authentic feel of West End as we are not resort people. The staff at BDM was all terrific and made sure we had everything we needed or wanted. The poolside bar/grill serves three meals a day and our condo had a full kitchen we only used for snacks and cold drinks. We had breakfast there a couple of times and some appetizers a couple of times and it was all good.
They did have music more often than I expected (I thought it was 2 days a week in the mid afternoon) - usually just during happy hour - and some of it was very good. The only time the music was at night was on Thursday night and was a popular band that attracted some visitors and locals and went on until 9 p.m. Just know that ahead of time.
We have been to Cozumel only twice and were kind of "passing through" (a couple of nights each time). flying into that airport to move farther south from Playa- the last time was 7 years or so ago- we are already scheduled to go in November and meet dive friends. I cannot compare the two places for you, sorry.

There is a thread on the Roatan group FB today that asks about Aire Aqua and a couple of other places- might be helpful to you. One place that many recommend is something that appealed to me- Turtle Beach- did you look at that?

diverswifey - Yes! I saw that thread as well. I ended up going with Aire Agua - the views just look amazing and snorkeling right outside the front door. Looks like I may need to be careful with boat traffic, but fingers crossed it's still an enjoyable experience. Plus, being on the peninsula point, I'm hoping it's fairly quiet/low-key versus staying right in the middle of West End or in the thick of it in West Bay.
Brisas del Mar came in a very close second, but I just couldn't resist the 360 ocean views of Aire Agua. Hopefully we have a wonderful time and I'll have a reason to come back and try Brisas next time! Now on to pick a dive shop :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom