Tipping the DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UserNameBella

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How much percentage wise or otherwise do you tip a DM? I have used the same place here for about 20 dives, two regular DM's. They've been pretty good to us, but we refuse the whole set up our gear and hold our hands service.
We are doing about ten or more dives and our rescue diver with another instructor. Fun dives are 300 US for ten and I don't think the DM's on this island are making a lot of money.

How much do I tip at the end of it all?

I usually tip 20% of the trip cost or $10US per tank(whichever is greater...this is assuming of course that the DM isn't a douchebag, in which case he gets nothing. I still don't believe in obligatory tipping.

I just paid $300 usd for 3 dives. Dm was very friendly and helped me get my bailout cylinder on and off for each dive I, personally, tipped $40. Receiving $40 a head with a 20 person charter makes a good weekend

When we first started diving as a couple (a little over ten years ago), we tipped $10 per person for a two tank dive trip. A couple of years ago, we figured with global inflation that wasn't enough, so we increased it to $15. Also, we try to be sensitive to exchange rates, so if we are tipping in the local currency, we try to make sure that it still works out to $15 per person per tank.

Also, the captain and mate (if there is one) are also providing service, and we always check with the dive shop to see if there is a tip-sharing arrangement among those who directly help out on the dive. We will also tip the equipment room staff if they are the one's who rinse and store our gear between dive days.

Last edited:
Hugely dependent upon care and service rendered,
but even more importantly- in what what country the dives are being done.

$50 for a DM in certain countries for a week is average, again, depending upon your needs and what they do for you. If somebody is carrying all my gear and hauling my BC up over the gunnels, I can get pretty magnanimous.

In third world countries, my dive crew gets Leatherman tools or CRKT knives plus cash.

I think in most areas, DM get paid very little. They make or do not make their money on tips. Also just because you are self reliant does not mean that you can go cheap on tips. The DMs do a pile of work you do not see. They also get divers who need help into the water and out of the water. That speeds things up for you. They offer as hoc teaching to certain divers increasing their skills which helps everyone. I have seen them toss out really bad cases. It is nice having someone to do that. I would not want to do it. And I have been on a boat where the DM rescued a client. The DM was keeping an eye on the guy and caught the situation quick. It could have gotten fatal easily. It would have been a real nasty thing to have a nice guy die on the boat. That DM did not " help" me on that dive. But I sorta think he did more than earn a tip.

Just a thought if dm's are paid poorly and all the 1st world folks feel the need to tip 10-20$ per dive they are really not that poor, are they?

I understand not everyone tips that well, but all they need is two people a week to tip generously and they make out pretty darn good.

YMMV

Last edited:
all they need is two people a week to tip generously and they make out pretty darn good.

Yeah, because pulling down that extra $20-$40 bucks a week helps ensure that they are "making out pretty darn good" right?

---------- Post added March 15th, 2015 at 10:35 AM ----------

When we first started diving as a couple (a little over ten years ago), we tipped $10 per person for a two tank dive trip. A couple of years ago, we figured with global inflation that wasn't enough, so we increased it to $15. Also, we try to be sensitive to exchange rates, so if we are tipping in the local currency, we try to make sure that it still works out to $15 per person per tank.

Finally! Someone who specifically acknowledges that the "$5 a tank is the going rate" advice that's be touted for here for going on twenty years is at least ten years out of date. $15 per per person/per tank is on the very generous side of the current going rate of $10/tank.

The scenario was 10 dives and tips between 10-20 per dive.

That comes out to average of 150 per week, in tips from one person. That does not include whatever pay or benefits they receive from the dive operator.

Extrapolate they help 10 persons per week that is nearly 1500 a week.

But again, not everyone tips that well. And this does not account for tip sharing either. It also doesn't account for the local economy on some of the far flung destinations where 5 bucks is not much to us but to a local it is a weeks worth of pay.

How much do I tip at the end of it all?

First thought - for your next trip - is don't wait "until the end of it all" to tip. Out of pure happenstance it seems you've had the same folks helping you the whole time. It's more common for staff to change from one day to the next as everyone has different days off. In order to avoid some folks getting screwed and others getting an undeserved windfall I recommend tipping-out each day. You can always add more at the end of the week for the cumulative reward of exceptional service. If someone in particular is not there at the end of the week you can put something for them in an envelope and give to the manager.

Do note that in many places the tips are pooled and customers are specifically discouraged from giving something extra to any individual. This is particularly true on liveaboards. If this is the case, please abide by that direction. Slipping someone a few extra dollars puts them in a difficult position. If you want to single someone out, perhaps giving a piece of gear, gift, etc. For sure mention their name - in writing - to the management. Mention that person's service, attitude, attention, etc is one of the main reasons you will return and/or recommend the operation to others. That sort of recognition is VERY valuable to people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom