Tipping DM Trainee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s good to know. I felt it clear briefly last night, but then it felt blocked again this morning. Now it feels blocked, but not as completely as earlier. I’m back on the boat for day two so I’ll mention it to my instructor before going down and check out the medical forum. Thanks!
As to the ear feeling "full" hours after a dive, that's not too unusual. I recall having dived all day and then at dinner or later at night it finally clears. If it's still that way the next day, that's more concerning. Post in the Dive Medicine subforum.

Thanks! That’s great context! Much appreciated!
When I was a DM trainee it was always nice if I received a tip, but it wasn't really expected. That said, I think it depends on how much work the DMT does. When I was doing mine I was basically doing all the work expected of a DM - setting up the dive site, hauling tanks, helping students and divers with their gear, answering questions, herding the scuba cats, breaking down and packing gear at the end of the day, etc. If your DMT is doing a lot of work, tossing him/her a tip would be a very nice gesture. If they are just following along and not really doing much besides that, then I wouldn't tip.

A monetary tip to a DM trainee would be welcomed. I'll wager that if you observe the trainee he/she gets most of the physically demanding work on the boat, so getting a tip that covers a nice meal or two goes a long way to relieving tired muscles.

As for water filled ears, there is always "ear beer". While the recipe varies from place to place, it is common to go with a 50%-50% mix of white vinegar and isopropyl alcohol [80%-90% strength]. I normally apply it following a dive, by lying on my side and pouring it in to fill the ear canal, then let the solution warm up to body temperature while remaining prone [ 5 - 10 minutes], let it drain out, and repeat.
The alcohol works to dry out the water, while the vinegar acts as a disinfectant.

Perhaps I am a bit dated, or have misread the OPs post, but had not heard that tipping course instructor per dive was common practice. Or is the OP possibly referring to post-course dives?
I’m probably wrong about what’s expected. Before I got on the boat, I didn’t even realize tipping was a part of diving at all haha. I only found out when they made an announcement as we came in to dock. My information comes from a quick google, so probably it’s not the most accurate
Perhaps I am a bit dated, or have misread the OPs post, but had not heard that tipping course instructor per dive was common practice. Or is the OP possibly referring to post-course dives?

Good to know! Thanks! I just got 10 USD from Google, so not surprised that number is off!
Even the idea of tipping one's instructor is not universally agreed upon. Search for past threads. In my opinion, give the instructor some token of appreciation, like taking them out for a meal, but don't tip in cash. A tip of 10 USD per dive is what I would give a DM on a guided dive. And that's in the US and places overrun with Americans, not necessarily Indonesia, which is equally overrun with non-tipping divers of Aussie and other nationalities. Is 10 USD really now the going rate in Indonesia? Wow.

Thanks!! This is helpful!!
whether you tip or not, and how much you might tip is totally up to you. tipping your guide might depend on many factors.
did they go above and beyond what is normally expected? what is the local economy like? (in other words....is 5 bucks a days pay or is it less than minimum wage for example) did they show you some cool stuff you never would have found yourself? etc etc.
tipping someone in training is certainly i nice thought. i doubt most people would.

Thanks!! That’s very helpful, and good to know!!
I have no idea what tipping is expected in Indonesia. I can say the only tip I ever got as a REGULAR DM on a course was one beer. I don't think any of the instructors received much if anything in tips.
You are talking about tipping during a course (as was I). Tipping on a charter boat for just straight diving is another matter. When I have taken a charter boat in the U.S. I tipped the DM on board $10 US ($5 for each of the two dives)

Thanks!! This is helpful. I asked if they had anything on the boat today, and they were able to give me some ear drops that helped a lot. I also had a much easier time equalizing today (so thankful for that— made the whole dive way better)
If you are prone to ear wax, the trouble clearing might be impacted wax. (Or maybe not)

A solution of rubbing alcohol, vinegar, and peroxide usually clears out my ears after a dive.

Vinegar to help kill bacteria
Peroxide to help break down ear wax
Alcohol to displace water and dry the ear canal

Thanks!! These are good points re all the work the trainee gets tasked with! Also, thanks for the ear beer recipe!!
A monetary tip to a DM trainee would be welcomed. I'll wager that if you observe the trainee he/she gets most of the physically demanding work on the boat, so getting a tip that covers a nice meal or two goes a long way to relieving tired muscles.

As for water filled ears, there is always "ear beer". While the recipe varies from place to place, it is common to go with a 50%-50% mix of white vinegar and isopropyl alcohol [80%-90% strength]. I normally apply it following a dive, by lying on my side and pouring it in to fill the ear canal, then let the solution warm up to body temperature while remaining prone [ 5 - 10 minutes], let it drain out, and repeat.
The alcohol works to dry out the water, while the vinegar acts as a disinfectant.

It's always nice to tip a DMT, but it's also a personal thing. Did they assist you? Did you benefit by having them there? I don't come from a tipping culture, but I remember when I was training in the Philippines and we would have US divers, then they would always tip us after the dives. I usually used it to buy beers for the local staff, but I always felt that I had made a customer happy if I was tipped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom