Tioman/Perhentian questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I have taken the final decision and booked the tickets.

The trip will be: KL - Langkawi - Taman Negara - Tioman. Thus, I'll definitely have ~10 days of great weather in Langkawi, and 6 risky days in Tioman (with the dream of HMS Repulse/POW if weather will allow it).

Now - can anybody give me an advice regarding the best way to travel between Langkawi and Taman Negara, and Taman Negara to Tioman? Train/bus/taxi/something else?

Have you considered taking an AirAsia flight from KL to Tawau and diving Sipadan/Mabul off Borneo?

In between dives, there's not much to do but wander around Mabul Island and play with the children. But when you're done with the dive bit of your holiday, you can head to the Kinabatangan River and check out Borneo's amazing wildlife. The wildlife viewing there is much much better than at Taman Negara.

I think it would get me too much off-route from my plan to reach Tioman.

I lived in Kuantan and traveled down to south of Pekan every day to work. Nice road. Lots of buses on the road.
If you rent a car you drive on the left side of the road. Don't know what it's like in Romania but it was an "adjustment" for me.

Sorry. I just now see that you already bought your tickets to Langkawi. Too bad!

Midget,

I didn't bought yet the local tickets to Langkawi, just the Buh-KL ones, but (a) i'm more of a wreck guy than reef guy, so I would not really appreciate Sipadan over Langkawi, and (b) my gf would enjoy better Langkawi than Sipadan, that's for sure.

Langkawi is a shopping & beach destination. Your girlfriend should not get bored.
Pulau Payer is a 30 km boat ride (45 min) from Langkawi.
The fishing boats were sunk off Pulau Kaca (near Pulau Payer) to promote reef growth. I haven't dived there, but I don't think this is a penetration wreck dive destination.

The WWII wrecks off Tioman are really deep.
Salang has more shallow sunken fishing boats.

You couldn't appreciate Sipadan over Langkawi? EEP!
Sipadan is world class. I don't hear that said about Langkawi or Tioman. To each his own.

Midget,

Don't get mad at me for my taste :) - for me, for example, the greatest dive until now is still at the sub that me and some of my friends found two years ago: YouTube - SC-213

Definitely for me HMS Repulse&POW are much more beautiful than anything Sipadan could offer. Because of that, the vacation is split between an island with beaches, shopping and surface activities (and some ok diving i guess - clear waters, corals, etc.) and gorgeous wrecks.

Returing to the trip options - any better way to travel between Langkawi (Kuala Kedah), Taman Negara (Jerantut) and Tioman (Mersing)?

Not mad at you, just not the same underwater preferences :)

Penang to Ipoh to Gua Musang to Kuala Tembiling. Then take the boat taxi ride into the park.
The boats are at 9am & 2pm.
I should think this would be easier to do if you asked an agent in Langkawi to help with arrangements.

So I have taken the final decision and booked the tickets.

The trip will be: KL - Langkawi - Taman Negara - Tioman. Thus, I'll definitely have ~10 days of great weather in Langkawi, and 6 risky days in Tioman (with the dream of HMS Repulse/POW if weather will allow it).

Now - can anybody give me an advice regarding the best way to travel between Langkawi and Taman Negara, and Taman Negara to Tioman? Train/bus/taxi/something else?

Hey V,

Wow, 10 days in Langkawi.. is quite bit!

Been going thru this thread, shame you can't visit Perhentians tho. The season begins from March till late October - and tho the seas can be rough at the beginning of the season, it has been quite unpredictable for the past season or so.

Most dive shoppes on Perhentian, Redang & Tioman accepts credit cards, but some do impose an additional charge to it.

I'd recommend taking the bus from Langkawi to Taman Negara to Tioman (Mersing Jetty). At each of these destinations, you should be able to come across booking agents that can help you secure the bus tickets readily.

Hope this helps, if you need any more info, I'd be glad to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom