Diving on the coast of Malaysia - which islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anemone bleaching at Kata Reef North in Phuket 🪸

Screenshot_2024-07-08-10-46-56-64_c1ebbaff44ba152fb7f7c2e1f7129fd1.jpg

Thanks for letting me know. Our son is (was?) planning on going to Koh Tao in August with his gf, for her first diving experience. But if the bleaching is still bad maybe they’ll just do land based stuff instead😟
"Land based stuff"!! That is even worst if it is anything to do with the infamous Full Moon party in Koh Phangan.

Our local budget airline, HK Express, has dirt cheap fare to Don Mueang(DMK). It must be well over 20yrs since I last used the airport. So I will be in Bangkok for few days in the beginning of Aug. It will be WET.

"Land based stuff"!! That is even worst if it is anything to do with the infamous Full Moon party in Koh Phangan.

Our local budget airline, HK Express, has dirt cheap fare to Don Mueang(DMK). It must be well over 20yrs since I last used the airport. So I will be in Bangkok for few days in the beginning of Aug. It will be WET.

No, what I meant was stay on the mainland and not go to Koh Tao/Samui etc.
No point in spending time/money to get there if they can’t dive - could go to Hua Hin for some beach time instead.

I do remember reading about the bleaching in Phuket, but had no idea it would be this bad - I’ve seen bleaching before, but nothing even close to this, once I get home I’ll see if I can post pics or even a video.

On the other hand we dived the SanChoi wreck yesterday morning and it was amazing- teaming with fish, which normally does not impress me, but just resting on the sandy bottom made them come so close and we were surrounded by barracudas, yellow snappers and many, many more - could hardly see my husband:)

The lower Gulf should be least affected by rain ie. Koh Tao etc. However, the upper Gulf eg. Koh Chang, Koh Kood and you can be certain of heavy rain.
Really have to check the rain pattern for Aug.

The lower Gulf should be least affected by rain ie. Koh Tao etc. However, the upper Gulf eg. Koh Chang, Koh Kood and you can be certain of heavy rain.
Really have to check the rain pattern for Aug.

North has rain, have some friends that are up there right now. I was just on Koh Tao for a week and am now currently on Ko Phangan. Had sun on Koh Tao all week long and so far only 1 rain storm at night on Ko Phangan and it only lasted about 1hr then cleared up.

This is what everyday on Koh Tao was like last week
1720663616287.png

North has rain, have some friends that are up there right now. I was just on Koh Tao for a week and am now currently on Ko Phangan. Had sun on Koh Tao all week long and so far only 1 rain storm at night on Ko Phangan and it only lasted about 1hr then cleared up.

This is what everyday on Koh Tao was like last week
View attachment 850562
Did you dive? How was the viz and corals?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom