Tioman/Perhentian questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How bad? We're talking about possibly not being able to go out diving. Do you really want to plan a trip all the way from Romaina to roll the dice on good weather and sea conditions?

You need to remember that the decision of whether to take a dive boat out is not the customer's to make. I've had customers here who have insisted that they're used to big seas and they don't mind... but the Captain is under no obligation to go out when he thinks it's dangerous or risky for his particular vessel or for the passengers and crew aboard, regardless of what the divers may think they're used to. Perhaps you didn't see the recent news report of a vessel that went down near Tioman in monsoon seas with loss of life?

Perhentian resorts will be closed as well in February. It's simply the wrong time of year to be going there.

February and March are a perfect time to come to the west coast of Thailand (you haven't been to this side even though you've been to the Gulf), but we don't have much in the way of wrecks. We have reefs and lots of liveaboards.

Are there any other destinations in Malaysia that would be better options than Tioman/Perhentian for February-March, and match some of the points in my checklist? (beach bungalows, nice water and beaches, stuff to do except diving - this excludes isolated resorts). Basically, as I said, I'm searching for Koh Phangan with better visibility and some wrecks :D

For better diving on the NE of Malaysia, I would look at Redang rather than Perhentian. Better selection of dive sites, easy shore dive to bimble around in and good for a night dive too. Although it is now a bit busier than when I started diving there back in 94, it is certainly worth considering.

But Redang and Perhentian have the same issue with the monsoon season. I was hoping that end of february - beginning of march would be ok, but a lot of people here are saying the opposite.

Vixtor, the short answer is no. The diving in Malaysia of the sort you want is seasonal--essentially March/April (i.e., "sometime" in March) to September/October (i.e., "sometime" in September).
This includes Tioman, Perhentians, and, yes, Redang as well.

Then it means I'll have to delay it a little and risk the beginning of March, starting with Perhentian and leave Tioman to the end, to be on the safe side.

Any advice on travelling between Kuala Besut, Kuala Tembeling and Mersing? Is it that easy/cheap to book a taxi as Zippsy was saying, between cities? Is it safe in terms of driving skills? :D

Hi Vixtor,

Perhentian and Tioman have the monsoon season at the same time. To avoid the monsoon you need to be on the other coast which means Phuket / Similans. I'm not sure whether there are any wrecks around there but I wasn't aware of any in Tioman either (there was one I dived at but it was really just a skelaton?).

I've been to Coron and you're right - the wreck diving is increadible but there aren't any sandy beaches.

Have you considered Malapascua (Nth of Cebu). There you will have fantastic sandy beaches with nice resorts, great diving (Thresher Sharks) and there is an interesting wreck although it's from a modern ferry that sunk a number of years ago rather than WWII history. You could spend a few days there then take in some sights in Cebu (I'm sure they must have some waterfalls and rafting somewhere) on your way down to Moalbol which has some more great diving - not the sandy beaches you'll get in Malapascua but big schools of sardines.

Then it means I'll have to delay it a little and risk the beginning of March, starting with Perhentian and leave Tioman to the end, to be on the safe side.

Any advice on travelling between Kuala Besut, Kuala Tembeling and Mersing? Is it that easy/cheap to book a taxi as Zippsy was saying, between cities? Is it safe in terms of driving skills? :D

Yes. Everything Z told you is true. There are safe and comfortable bus routes or you could rent a car and drive, or you could hire a taxi. The roads are good. I lived in Malaysia for 5 years before coming to Thailand, and I drove all over the place!

I have read on the internet that there is an ATM in the Tekek Airport (Tioman), at some Bank Simpanan Nasional. Can anybody confirm this, and whether they accept international cards or not?

Hi there

We visited Perhentian (7 days) in March last year where we discovered and fell in love with diving. Weather was variable but had some pretty big storms. When diving it was sheltered but as a result of storms previous days visibility wasn't great. We went with Universal Diver and couldn't praise them enough - nothing was too much trouble and were knowledgeable and supportive to us novices.

In terms of non-diving activities, nothing really to do other than relax, read your book and chill out. A couple of huts selling basics but no villages to speak of where we were. We loved it through, and welcomed the chill out after 3 days trekking in Taman Negara.

Hope that helped... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom