Tiny hole found on the Valve's thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could this valve have been made per non USA standards. Did the valve come from another country.
Yes, the valve is made in France (Beuchat) for the US market and it has the wording "3/4 NPSM" and "3400 PSI".

@subzero, your valve is fine, as it relates to the hole. We have several new Blue Steel valves in our Shop with the holes, also. The purpose is as described - to make it safer for a technician to recognize a valve that is pressurized. It doesn't degrade the safety of the valve. The LDS that rejected these obviously doesn't do many inspections or repairs with these types of valves. I apologize for them and for the confusion and frustration this must have caused you. I trust you will not have any problems at another Shop. If you need additional information, message me.

safety "blow-by", no different than the ones on [some?] DIN fittings....

find a new shop, QUICKLY!

The problem is not that the shop (or tank inspector) failed to recognize that design feature, but that they simply rejected the valve with a rediculous explanation.

To be fair, why not make an attempt to educate the shop. good shop should be happy to learn of their error. I would expect they should want to compensate you for your troubles, perhaps a free vis and fill. If the shops rejects the education, please ID them so others can avoid such nonsense.

The problem is not that the shop (or tank inspector) failed to recognize that design feature, but that they simply rejected the valve with a rediculous explanation.

To be fair, why not make an attempt to educate the shop. good shop should be happy to learn of their error. I would expect they should want to compensate you for your troubles, perhaps a free vis and fill. If the shops rejects the education, please ID them so others can avoid such nonsense.

Yes, I did try to educate the LDS manager that the hole was put by the manufacturer as a safety feature. I went as far as bringing 3 other valves with the same hole. Anyway, I went to another LDS.

@subzero, your valve is fine, as it relates to the hole. We have several new Blue Steel valves in our Shop with the holes, also. The purpose is as described - to make it safer for a technician to recognize a valve that is pressurized. It doesn't degrade the safety of the valve. The LDS that rejected these obviously doesn't do many inspections or repairs with these types of valves. I apologize for them and for the confusion and frustration this must have caused you. I trust you will not have any problems at another Shop. If you need additional information, message me.

Thanks DEdiveguy1. Yesterday, I sent a note to Allen Bud of BlueSteel and he said the same thing as you said that was put by the manufacturer as a safety feature.

Thanks DEdiveguy1. Yesterday, I sent a note to Allen Bud of BlueSteel and he said the same thing as you said that was put by the manufacturer as a safety feature.
Bud Allen, he puts his name backwards on his email header. Nice guy.

Bud Allen, he puts his name backwards on his email header. Nice guy.
LOL! I wasn't sure if Allen was his lastname or not. But yeah, really nice guy!

Yes, I did try to educate the LDS manager that the hole was put by the manufacturer as a safety feature. I went as far as bringing 3 other valves with the same hole. Anyway, I went to another LDS.

Are you implying that they did not get it at all, or that they did not like not-getting-it-at-all in public?
Either way, having an option sounds preferable.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom