Tiny hole found on the Valve's thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love to hear the reasoning behind rejecting the valve. The hole is below the oring. My *guess* is that hole is there either as an aide for plating, allowing plating fluids to better fill and drain, or somebody thought it necessary to energize the oring. It's not required to provide tank pressure to the oring as straight threads don't seal, but who knows what some CE compliant design demands.

I'd contact the valve makers.

Tobin
as I have been in the plating business (and my family ) all my life I can tell you its not for that .

If you have ever force removed a valve from a pressurized cylinder (I don't recommend this) you are happy to have a hole in the threads that whistles and carries on. It's a tattletale to remind you that the valve isn't stuck, it's pressurized. Or, if the valve is actually stuck shut, it allows you to take the valve out a couple of threads to depressurize the cylinder. This is of dubious value, as the valve would probably come apart before you got it to back out, taking out the burst disc is a way better option.

Given that our European cousins forgo burst disks all together I would suspect that this 'feature' is a CE requirement for exactly the reasons you list. You can bleed down a fulll tank by backing off the valve one turn and not launching the valve.

Tobin

as I have been in the plating business (and my family ) all my life I can tell you its not for that .

Drain holes are a common feature in many parts to facilitate plating. This hole many or many not be a drain hole, but it's routinely done.

http://www.chrome-platers.com/files...er_Help_Book_-_Nottingham_Platers_Limited.pdf

1. Allow sufficient drainage,
    1. I Solution and air have to quickly enter and exit the product

2. II Where visible drain holes are not acceptable use secret ones, i.e. drain hole in Vertical before horizontal welded over

3. III Holes must be as large as possible

4. IV Position holes at the end of blocked tubes. Holes 1” up the tube will lock in solution

5. V One hole for solution. One hole for air.

Tobin

Tobin, thanks for the input. The LDS says its rust and and upon inspection don't have a spec of rust on the thread. I also have 2 other DIN valves all with the same small hole. Anyway, time to change LDS.

"Rust" on a chrome plated brass valve? SMH.

Tobin

didn't say its not done this hole would nt make sense as there is a drain acess from the drip tube ...this comes from 30 years plating (3rd generation ) experience ...not some google search to be arbitrary

Could this valve have been made per non USA standards. Did the valve come from another country.

Tobin, thanks for the input. The LDS says its rust and and upon inspection don't have a spec of rust on the thread. I also have 2 other DIN valves all with the same small hole. Anyway, time to change LDS.

if chrome plated brass can rust through that much metal in that fine of a shape with no other signs of damage without pointed acid drips, then I'll eat my shoe. Find a new LDS and I'd recommend you tell all of your friends do the same, what a crock of sh!t

didn't say its not done this hole would nt make sense as there is a drain acess from the drip tube ...this comes from 30 years plating (3rd generation ) experience ...not some google search to be arbitrary

And my comments come from 30 + years of designing and manufacturing goods, often metal, and frequently plated. I learned long ago to consult with the finishers prior to final design to make sure they had a reasonable means to rack the part, and it wouldn't trap gas or fluids. Blowing out every part between every solution gets expensive fast.

Tobin

Could this valve have been made per non USA standards. Did the valve come from another country.

My guess is the hole is standard feature that may be required for CE, but is now part of the manufacturing process regardless of where it's ultimately sold. Wookie's comments about releasing pressure make the most sense to me.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom