Tiny hole found on the Valve's thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narcd_dvr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I sent one of my tanks for an annual VIP to my LDS and as they were inspecting it, they found a tiny hold on the thread and said that they could not fill the tank with air. I also have a spare K valve (BlueSteel) and it too has a tiny hole. So, are these valves shot? And do I need a valve then? Thanks.

Photo from Beuchat Y-Valve with the tiny hole:
IMG_1646.JPG

Here's a photo from my K valve showing the tiny hole as well.
IMG_1647.JPG

Looks almost too perfect to be a defect. That said, I have 3 spare valves in my garage and none have such a hole.

Sounds like it's a brand thing. There's a similar thread about such holes in the valve here: small hole in valve?

I sent one of my tanks for an annual VIP to my LDS and as they were inspecting it, they found a tiny hold on the thread and said that they could not fill the tank with air. I also have a spare K valve (BlueSteel) and it too has a tiny hole. So, are these valves shot? And do I need a valve then? Thanks.

Photo from Beuchat Y-Valve with the tiny hole:
View attachment 382779

Love to hear the reasoning behind rejecting the valve. The hole is below the oring. My *guess* is that hole is there either as an aide for plating, allowing plating fluids to better fill and drain, or somebody thought it necessary to energize the oring. It's not required to provide tank pressure to the oring as straight threads don't seal, but who knows what some CE compliant design demands.

I'd contact the valve makers.

Tobin

If you have ever force removed a valve from a pressurized cylinder (I don't recommend this) you are happy to have a hole in the threads that whistles and carries on. It's a tattletale to remind you that the valve isn't stuck, it's pressurized. Or, if the valve is actually stuck shut, it allows you to take the valve out a couple of threads to depressurize the cylinder. This is of dubious value, as the valve would probably come apart before you got it to back out, taking out the burst disc is a way better option.

Try different LDS?
Looks like that's the route I have to take. I'm looking at 3 different DIN valves and all have this tiny hole in 'em.

Love to hear the reasoning behind rejecting the valve. The hole is below the oring. My *guess* is that hole is there either as an aide for plating, allowing plating fluids to better fill and drain, or somebody thought it necessary to energize the oring. It's not required to provide tank pressure to the oring as straight threads don't seal, but who knows what some CE compliant design demands.

I'd contact the valve makers.

Tobin
Tobin, thanks for the input. The LDS says its rust and and upon inspection don't have a spec of rust on the thread. I also have 2 other DIN valves all with the same small hole. Anyway, time to change LDS.

Back
Top Bottom