Time to accessorise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conor

Reaction score
So once you have your own main equipment, i.e. mask, fins, wetsuit, BCD, regs, computer. What are the things that every diver should have. This is for warm water holiday diving in particular for the moment.

I guess what I am thinking is there is an almost endless list including knife, compass, torch, whistles etc, but if you were packing for a dive holiday what would you say you must bring, you would like to bring, or you shouldn't bother bringing ?

BTW the reason for this is that there is a dive show in london next week which will be a great opportunity to get all the little things.

Noise signaling device....whistle...air horn...
Visual signaling device....sausage
Pocket snorkle
Pocket mask (actually swim goggles)
Small pocket folding backup knife
Reg mouthpiece covers
Clips and retractors
Small dry box to hold ID and money

If youre staying warm water....dont need a dry suit or 7 mm suit...
the rest is up to personality.....or lack there of!!

Mesh bag for gear transport to/from hotel to boat/shore. Durable non-descript duffle for gear travel via airline, etc. Non-descript....one that doesn't scream "I've got dive gear in me, steal me steal me!"

Extremely good point Lori.....

I now have two Pelican cases doing nothing but gathering dust because of all the hassle they cause when I fly with them. I have since gotten me a duffle bag style....no diver symbols...travel bag...and a "tupperware" like plastic container that.....is big enought to hold my bc.....and...small enough to fit in the duffle bag suit case.....that way no hassle from the airlines and tsa idiots....and ...some protection for my bc from the baggage handlers...

bummer....we have lost so much since 9/11....not just the victums...but so many freedoms...

Conor once bubbled...
So once you have your own main equipment, i.e. mask, fins, wetsuit, BCD, regs, computer. What are the things that every diver should have. ... what would you say you must bring, you would like to bring, or you shouldn't bother bringing ?
A friend. :wink:

as little as possible, seriously.

Just the basics. A light is nice, get a small one for warm water night dives. I like the Ikelite PCa. A compass is next to useless in the Caribbean where I dive, everyone there uses natural navigation. MIght be the same in Egypt. A knife is OK, don't spend more than US$20 on it. Look for one that will fit on the belt of your TP2. EMT shears cost about $4 here, but you need a pocket to put them in. A whistle is pretty much required, but they are cheap.

Resist the urge to bring too much clothing, although this can be a very difficult issue if traveling with a woman. Two bathingsuits or more with one packed in the carry on. Some places I have been are so casual they allow wet bathingsuits and bare feet in the dining room, check beforehand. I can get everything in a medium size bag plus carry on. If needed, insect repellent and always bring sunscreen. Extra batteries for your computer and torch, unless it is sealed up like a Uwatec.

For locations with high bar prices, buy some duty free liquor on the way out.

... I went to the dive show yesterday and managed to pickup everything I need, very cheaply. Lots of little things essentially amounting to a (relatively) non discript bag, cheap knife, pouch for the TPII and assorted spares, just in case.

Oh and a new mask, sorry got tempted :)

Some might consider it overkill, but I also bring the following items in addition to the stuff posted to date:

Pocket tool
O-rings
fin straps (before I went to spring straps)
Mask Strap
Sunscreen
Pocket Mask (for rescue breathing)
Small first aid kit
Open Circuit Lift Bag
Small Spool for use with lift bag

Buy a safety sausage...it should be considered an essential piece of equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom