Question How to pack? Flying to St Lucia.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mercracing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys, I am getting things lined up for my first trip where I will be bringing my scuba equipment. I know I will want my BCD, computer, regulators, and camera in a carry-on. Wetsuit, fins, mask, snorkel will be in checked. I tried fitting my checked items into the carry-on I already have, and my BCD was the only thing that really fit. How are you guys packing everything? Pics would be helpful.

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about checking your BCD, and I would consider taking the mask carry-on with your computer/regs/camera.
Airline baggage handling is oftentimes pretty rough so I really like checking a Pelican Air case if anything at all fragile will need to be in the checked bag. In your case a duffle with bcd/wetsuit/fins should be fine, just have wetsuit or other soft materials around BCD inflator/slightly fragile plastic (I'm assuming your not traveling with any BCD integrated weights).

I know some people like to carryon everything, but I’m not a fan. In particular I would not carry on a BCD. Too bulky and more important things to carry on. Like my mask, I would not check that. I carry on computer, its small. Regs might go in either depending where I’m traveling and what the carry on limits are.

I won't be traveling with any weights, so I don't need to worry about that. I spose I could check the BCD, that would let me carry-on pretty much everything else I think. I was just thinking in terms of things that would have to be replaced if lost/stolen. That's why I was planning to carry-on the BCD.

Yeah generally people don’t travel with weights.
Your BC is highly unlikely to be lost or stolen. Most people check them. You want to carryon things that are fragile, valuable to a thief, or more difficult to deal with in the unlikely event something is delayed. It’s almost always easy to rent a BC or reg, you will live. Some ops will even loan stuff free when need is due to an airline screw up. Finding a mask that fits as well as your own is not so easy. A computer is small to pack, and you’d want to stick with your own. A camera is something that may be fragile, hard to rent what you’re used to, and maybe valuable to someone and possible to sell easily. (Your used dive gear is nor.)

Mask (prescription), computer, camera in carry on. everything else checked in duffle.

Back
Top Bottom