Thoughts on color corrective lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Getting ready to purchase a new mask... thinking about one with color corrective lenses.

What are your thoughts... pros or cons...

As a side note, 90% of diving is to be done on West Coast ocean at depths 80-130swf.

Getting ready to purchase a new mask... thinking about one with color corrective lenses.

What are your thoughts... pros or cons...

As a side note, 90% of diving is to be done on West Coast ocean at depths 80-130swf.

I have used the yellow tinted lenses while spearfishing. They do increase constrast, slightly at the expense of color differentiation. I have a number of customers that use the pink tinted lenses to help restore the red lost through water filtering.

It is important to remember that while these lenses may improve color or contrast, they do so at the expense of reducing the amount of light that travels through the lenses.

Hope this helps.

Phil Ellis

My husband has the red ones. The main thing he likes is the glare reduction when floating on the surface/entering and exiting; its kind of like wearing sunglasses and since he's had them he hasn't had a single glare related headache. He's not so fond of them on night dives because they turn "dark" into "extra dark" which isn't a lot of fun during some entries/exits.
Ber :lilbunny:

Thanks!!!.... Wow, never thought about that part of it.... not letting the light through. So I would imagine on the deeper darker dives not so great... shallow daylight dives good for then ... hummm.

I use Sea Vision Ultra masks. I've had 3 of them. Yellow lens, clear lens & magenta.

I sold the magenta.

The yellow is my favorite. I spearfish & hunt bugs. The clear lens is my backup & sometimes I dive it just for a change. But after more than a year I keep finding myself taking the yellow out of my gear bag when setting up (both are always in there).

The magenta was OK, but most of my dives seem to be in the 70 to 115 FSW range & I found that I just could see as good when the viz was crappy as I could with either of the others.

IMO, the magenta is more suited to shallower and/or clearer viz dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom