Thoughts on Boots....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveJedi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was hoping to get diver opinions on boots....

When wearing boots what is most important to you (feel free to choose all that apply):

A. A good solid sole (like our evo III's)
B. Low profile so I don't have to buy new fins
C. Attached to my suit.
D. Easy to put on after donning my drysuit

Assuming you own a Fusion, and we had a boot you liked that could be attached semi permanently (with a retro fit) or not attached, how likely would you be to send your suit back for the retrofit?

This is all hypothetical of course.....

Until the Next Dive,

Tyler

I have EVO 3's and they are, in my opinon, the best boots available. Great sole, very comfortable on land and when swimming and they hold up much better than DUI Rock Boots.

I am a big fan of unattached boots. If the Fusion had attached boots, I'd be less likely to buy another one.

As for attaching them semi-permanently, it would depend on the details.

I have EVO 3's and they are, in my opinon, the best boots available. Great sole, very comfortable on land and when swimming and they hold up much better than DUI Rock Boots.

I am a big fan of unattached boots. If the Fusion had attached boots, I'd be less likely to buy another one.

As for attaching them semi-permanently, it would depend on the details.

Damn...I didn't want to agree with DA twice in one week but....Ditto for me.

Too new to have an opinion on some of this stuff but I can say that I am/was very keen on not having 2 pair of fins for wet/dry. I recently bought the Fusion as my first drysuit and got the package w/ the Evo3 boots. They don't fit my old fins so I bought the Hollis F1s because I'll be able to use them for both wet / dry and can recoup the cost by selling my current fins. This was a consideration before I bought the suit / boots but I knew I could find a solution easily and didn't mind changing gear around enough that it caused me to go a different direction.

I can say I specifically chose the Fusion because of the fit and feel - had it attached boots as well I would have opted for the version without attached boots assuming it was offered in both varieties.

I've always dove dry with attached boots (of the vulcanized rubber variety), and am finally moving away from them with the EVO3's on my new Fusion.

Attached boots have their place (non-rocky, sandy beach entries or boat diving come to mind), but for any amount of walking in heavy gear ESPECIALLY over uneven surfaces, attached boots suck. I've rolled my ankle or pinched those little tendons on the bottom of my feet so many times I've lost count.

I'd say, in order:

A good solid sole.
Easy to put on.
Low profile.

If I can have it all in an attached boot - great =)

As for the upgrade - I always had the option with past suits to send the suit in and have it retrofitted with neoprene socks and some version of a rock boot, but ultimately, uncomfortable as it may be, it's not something I was willing to spend $200-300 on. However, if the feet needed to be repaired or replaced, I would have upgraded.

Going from non-attached to attached seems to be more a matter of convenience than solving a problem- I'd be even less likely to take a step backwards in that regard.

-B

I've looked at the Fusion and am considering one. I'd suggest a third approach, that being a more robust attached sock.

Pete

I use the rock boots that came with my Catalyst suit. Only complaint is that they take forever to dry. Otherwise they work well.

+3

The only down side is that I did have to purchase a new set of fins. But Im not complaining....

I LOVED the Evo boots -- they're beautifully made, sturdy, have an excellent sole and good ankle support. But they won't fit in my fins, and bigger fins made me miserable, so I sold the boots. So I guess I'd have to say that fitting in my fins is the highest priority.

Since then, I've tried a number of different solutions. Things which are very hard to put on and off while suited up get discarded pretty quickly. Things with thin soles that are easy to put on get used, but I worry about their durability and the wear and tear on the suit sock. Right now, I've got a shoe that's pretty easy to get on and off, has a decent sole, no ankle support, but is too narrow and compresses the insulation so my feet get cold.

If there were a semi-permanent option that allowed me to have a good sole, still use my L Jets, and not overcompress my insulation, I'd be all over it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom