Thoughts on Boots....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make them available in xxwide width.
I wear size 12 wet suit shoes but my real shoe size is 9 5E.
I have to go long to get width, it gets pretty floppy and dangerous.

Have the Evo's and love them. Also have the Altera's, which I'm assuming are you're attempt at shoes that are easy to put on. Hate them. Easy to put on also means easy to fall off. No matter how much I tighten them, they always feel like they are about to fall off.

I was hoping to get diver opinions on boots....

When wearing boots what is most important to you (feel free to choose all that apply):

A. A good solid sole (like our evo III's)
B. Low profile so I don't have to buy new fins
C. Attached to my suit.
D. Easy to put on after donning my drysuit

Hi Tyler:

I would vote for B. As a Southern California diver, the summers bring waters and weather warm enough to dive wet, so I'd like to use my same fins. I am a happy Fusion owner and dive my wetsuit booties and same fins, and I love that! I previously dove a Bare neoprene dry suit with integrated boots and needed a second pair of fins, and I didn't enjoy that.

Assuming you own a Fusion, and we had a boot you liked that could be attached semi permanently (with a retro fit) or not attached, how likely would you be to send your suit back for the retrofit?

If the boot were attached semi permanently, and I'd have to send in the suit for a retrofit, that boot had better fit me comfortably and be available for me to try it on before I commit. I presume the retrofit would be pricey, so I would be hesitant to do so unless I was sure of a more comfortable fit than what I have now. I wouldn't want to add the price of new fins to the retrofit.... I dive Apollo BioFins which are $165-$210, so adding this to the price of the retrofit should be well worth the comfort. Otherwise, paying $400-500 all in ($200 for fins + $200-300 for retro fit) would seem like a lot improve something that's already working.

I got the EVOs with my suit - they have never seen the water. I dive mostly in socal - and have found that simply using my wet boots works great so far. I did have a chance to try the EVOs during a demo-day in FL - they were fine - but I have yet to try them in my fins - I DO NOT like the idea of having two sets of fins. Once I get home for good (July) - I will be trying the fit of my EVOs in my current fins - I don't expect they will fit and I expect I will continue to utilize my wet suit boots for diving the fusion.

I had a dry suit with attached boots previous to my fusion - didn't like it. With the fusion I can turn the entire suit inside-out for cleaning without any hassle - I NEVER turned my old tri-lam inside out - can't say that it would have been any fun at all....

As for the semi-permanent idea - don't see any value-added to that idea.

C. Attached to my suit.
Tyler

Definintely detached, separate boots
I ended up having to buy Bare Trek boots for my Fusion as I did not want to buy a new pair of fins had I bought the Evo boots,
I mostly shore dive in New England, so a sturdy robust sole is also key
Ease of donning would be a plus

C. Attached to my suit.
Tyler

Both my wife and I have Whites Drysuits. She has the Fusion and I the Catalyst. We both got Altera boots. She tried and after having to buy larger fins, she still did not care for them. They felt loose and we just could not get them secure enough.

I tried the EVO's and they were solid, well made and fit fine but again, I needed yet a third set of fins to use them so I passed.

We both now use wetsuit boots and they work well and meet your critera for B and D above but the sole is not as solid as the EVO's but they work fine for our diving.

I would not like an attached boot but I would like to have the socks tailored to fit my foot better.

Disclaimer: Not a drysuit diver but I am looking at getting a drysuit and the fusion is at the top of the list.

B is going to be an important issue for me. I use ForceFins so having to buy another set or not could be the difference between suits.

I'd say D would be the next issue for me since I don't want to struggle with my gear.

A isn't a huge issue for me. For the beach walk my wetsuit hard soles work fine.

For C I have to know how hard it'd be to replace the sole if they wore out? And if the boot part wore out would that introduce a failure point to the suit?

I LOVED the Evo boots -- they're beautifully made, sturdy, have an excellent sole and good ankle support. But they won't fit in my fins, and bigger fins made me miserable, so I sold the boots. So I guess I'd have to say that fitting in my fins is the highest priority.

Since then, I've tried a number of different solutions. Things which are very hard to put on and off while suited up get discarded pretty quickly. Things with thin soles that are easy to put on get used, but I worry about their durability and the wear and tear on the suit sock. Right now, I've got a shoe that's pretty easy to get on and off, has a decent sole, no ankle support, but is too narrow and compresses the insulation so my feet get cold.

If there were a semi-permanent option that allowed me to have a good sole, still use my L Jets, and not overcompress my insulation, I'd be all over it.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

I love the idea of built-in boots... but have yet to find an implementation I like. I have small feet for my size, so sending the whole suit in to chop off the legs and install the right size is lame.

The thing I liked about built in boots was speed of getting ready and simplicity (less stuff to remember), and the fact that they were small and low profile enough I could wear the same fins. However, sizing issues remained, as did any sort of ankle support. Air passage is another issue that hits you with built-in as opposed the air being squeezed out by sturdier outer options. And, of course, longevity if you need walk in gear frequently.

With DS socks plus external shoes, size customization is no problem... lots of good options for size. Getting those shoes into fins is another story, however. I dumped my DUI rock boots in favor of Chuck Taylors, which let me cram the shoes into the same fins. Big plus, but it was still cramming... not great, and a little tighter on my feet than I'd otherwise want.

My current solution is mid-height wetsuit booties (with soft-ish soles) which give me just the right amount of foot squeeze to keep air out, and let me easily fit the same fins I dive wet. They also pull on super easy, no need to tie or mess with pull strings, which can break, wear out, and otherwise need special handling to keep them from coming loose and tripping me or getting me caught on something.

I'd love a shoe with a better sole that could meet all of those criteria, but I can't imagine something that could. Of course, I doubt I would have imagined a suit like the Fusion, so who knows what you folks will come up with. :D

To make a long story short, though:

A- good solid sole- somewhat important
B- Low profile- very important
C- Attached- not important
D- Easy to put on- very important

Disclaimer: Not a drysuit diver but I am looking at getting a drysuit and the fusion is at the top of the list.

B is going to be an important issue for me. I use ForceFins so having to buy another set or not could be the difference between suits.

Little late but...I have a Fusion with Altera boots. I had to get new fins. My usual The FF Pro foot pocket was too tight with bungees.

My preference would be a separate boot, low-profile and not too wide. The sole could be tough, as long as it doesn't add to the profile of the boot. No sole extensions on the sides of the boot adding to the width, like most wetsuit boots have. No laces or any kind of quick-lock gimmicks - a plain zipper would be fine.

Neoprene would be a fine material, BUT not thicker than 3mm - I'm currently using boots that fulfil all of the above, but are 5mm thick. They are warm, but the thick neoprene makes them a very tight fit to XL Jet Fins, which I'm not willing to give up. Also, they tend to compress at depth, and expand on ascent, making decoing bit of a pain, as the foot slips deeper to the fin at depth.

If you just made a separate boot copy of the DUI Turbo Soles I'd be happy. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom