Thinking of doubling up my HP80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before I do anything, I’m stripping the Cinch system off my Halcyon BP. I won the whole thing 2 years ago, but it was causing major problems in the pool yesterday. Kept getting loose, causing my tank to sit very low on my back.

Tighten your waist belt more? The only way for the shoulder straps to loosen is if you have slack in the waist. I dive doubles with a cinch and it’s never “gotten loose” on me.

I was just going to trash it.
Along with the cinch specific accessories? Seems a waste. That’s $100 or more.

Might as well give it away, seeing as you were a recent recipient of free stuff. Make someone else’s day.

Might as well give it away, seeing as you were a recent recipient of free stuff. Make someone else’s day.

Yeah, nothing good will come of being a curmudgeonly narcissist..........and, yes,I should know.

I've posted it for sale, cheap. It's only the Cinch adapter plate that's for sale. I'm keeping the weight pockets.

Yes, shoulder straps were coming loose. Waist belt was pretty tight. Instructor working with me in pool yesterday switched gear with me and had the same thing happening with her. The other issue is that tank was rocking side to side a lot. I have the STA with the weighted insert. Seemed the bolts were somewhat loose. I pulled everything apart today. One of the bolts is VERY loose in the weight - bolts are built into the weight insert. This was only ever dived in freshwater, and perhaps 10 pool sessions over 2 years. I had never removed the insert from the STA.

I was actually rolling a full 360 degrees yesterday with very little effort.

I'll be going without the weight insert, too.

I've decided I'm just going to go with the one BP and switch it between doubles/single tank as needed.

Pics below of STA weight insert.
IMG_1684.JPG
IMG_1685.JPG

That sucks. I would check if Halcyon will warranty the STA weight.

The gear switcheroo resulted in a light bulb going off. I must have been fighting my gear for a while. As I'd describe it, I could do frog in the pool while doing laps, but put a tank on my back, and it went to heck in a hand basket. Instructor had a basic back inflate BC and an AL63. BC actually fit me and had a good amount of weight (12 lbs). I was able to concentrate on my frog. This little bit of video is the result. It's just a start, but way better than before.

Frog kick

Finally got my dwarf dubs in the pool today. I'm in love! :D When I first got underwater, I went a bit head down. 2 x 2lb clip weights on my butt D ring solved that. At next month's pool session, someone is going to bring a pair of Hollis F1 fins for me to try out. Buoyancy and trim were pretty good. I dove dry with only my thin base layer. I suspect I'll need more weight when I've got my fluffy Thermal Fusion on.

Gearing up: holy crap, so much better than SM! Boom, done! Hauled everything to the pool like I would for the boat, regs/BP/wing already on doubles. Dive buddy was impressed with how quickly I got geared up compared with SM.

2019_0112_155103_002.JPG
doubles1.jpeg
Doubles3.jpeg

And my new short Halcyon BP makes a huge difference! Belt is at my waist, not hips (belt always felt like it was going to fall off).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom