Thinking of doubling up my HP80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2nd pool session with doubles today. It was fin day! I really wanted the Hollis F1s to work, but the foot pocket is just too wide for my small feet. The fins were flopping all over the place. My $50 FB scuba sale group bargain Hog Tech 2 did the trick. Nice and stiff, work great for frog, and they fit my feet just fine. 3/4 lb each fin heavier than the Deep 6. Just wish they came in white. I've come to appreciate white fins for my sometimes low viz diving.

Butt D ring had gotten moved around (entire crotch strap had slipped around in slot on plate - I’ll adjust D ring a bit higher if I can) and wasn't as high as it should have been, so my tail weights were hanging really low. Felt weird, but I didn't realize how wonky it was until I got out of my gear.

All in all, really happy how trim has been.

fullsizeoutput_82a.jpeg
Doubles3 2:9.jpeg
Doubles4 2:9.jpeg

Trim is looking great! I like to stencil my initials on the bottom of my fin tips with silver Sharpie marker. It lasts a long time, IDs me underwater, and makes it easier to grab my fins out of a pile of black fins on the boat. :) Probably doesn't stand out as much as white fins, though. Mine are the F1s and I liked the yellow tips but they were more expensive, so I just got plain black.

Shakedown dives at quarry today. I needed a 3lb tail weight and 14lbs at my hips (tried weight in Halcyon weight pockets just to see how I did with weight at hips. I already had them and they cost me nothing.). 45F water, so I had my Thermal Fusion on. I bought it used with only 5 dives on it. Can't wait for it to compress some. I think I need to get a weight belt. I do not want a V-weight. I have a hard enough time moving my fully set up doubles rig as it is. Never used a weight belt before, but having the loaded waist pockets make it difficult to handle my belt, especially in the water, as it's harder to get tight.

Per buddy and a bit of very crappy video (green quarry water, no magenta filter, and lots of particulate in the water), my trim was very good.

The best part of today? I was able to walk approx 100 lbs of gear 60-70ft to the water and back twice today. I was amazed how easy it was. Just took my time coming back after a dive. :D All those dumbbell squats are paying off! Quarry has a "beach" entry (old road bed down into quarry) so it was easy on the knees.

Pic is tail weight. 3lb hard weight, some webbing, and waxed cotton sail thread. Hangs off lower bolt and length seems just right.
y53bY+z6RE6Z2eA+fUNJtg.jpg

Ended up getting the Halcyon V weight because it was cheaper than a weight belt. Holds 10 lbs of soft weights, I was able to get 11 in it. With that and the new 5lb tail weight I made, I'll be 1lb short of what I used last week and helpfully it works without having to wear anything on my belt. Dive tomorrow.

Weighting sorted today. 2nd dive was really nice. Off to the big lake in two weeks

Back
Top Bottom