Thinking of doubling up my HP80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Marie13 I played with my bolts multiple times. Multiple trips to Home Depot and Lowes to figure it out. I wanted the bolt to come out without really digging into my spine. I wanted to bolts to come out and be as flush as possible with the nuts I use to secure them. A little OCD on my part I admit. I know the plate is curved. Instead of wing nuts, I bought these Delrin thumbwheels from DGEx and I love them very much. For me one ended up being 3.5" and other 4" bolt. I ended with stainless steel carriage bolts as I could not find stainless steel bolts that are fully threaded.

The HP80s get a bad rap as not having enough volume. Glad its working. They look good.

SS threaded rod is readily available. Cut to length, install. Too long? Cut more off. Too short? Cut more off, realize the error of you ways, start again.

The last thing above has never happened to me. Well, not often. "I cut it off three times and it's still too short...." ;-)

(Edit) And, you can use acorn nuts on the back side or nylock-style nuts.

So total cost for setting up doubles:

$60 manifold
$50 wing replacement parts
$30 bands
$100 various hoses (wing and drysuit inflator hoses, HP hose for SPG, secondary reg hose)
$25 doubles assembly
$24 bolt kit

$289 total

Not bad at all.

Amount would have been double that if I’d have needed to get a wing. I already had 7’ long hose and SPG from SM setup. Using the Halcyon BP I’ve been diving for 2 years. I already had the tanks and they already had left/right modular valves from SM.

SS threaded rod is readily available. Cut to length, install. Too long? Cut more off. Too short? Cut more off, realize the error of you ways, start again.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks cutting again will fix the problem! :confused:

That's awesome. I think I paid more than that for my harness webbing. I've been told I don't get good deals! :facepalm:

I had to replace my webbing as I’d accidentally cut it too short. Even the Halcyon webbing was only $25! :wink:

Yes, that has been repeated ad nauseam. As I have also repeatedly posted, I am 5’5”. I also tend towards being feet heavy so something that may put my head down is not a bad thing.

I used the same tanks for SM. People here swore up and down that I’d never get them to trim out. However, they trimmed out pretty decently.

These are the tanks I have. Some SB folks do not seem to understand the concept of making do with what you already have.

Now that I've accumulated 26 tanks, I'm ready to 'make do with what I already have'. :)

Divers-Direct has one 5th port in stock for $44.

Attachments

• apeks-5-port-turret-upgrade-kit.jpg
    apeks-5-port-turret-upgrade-kit.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 61
I don’t do my own reg work. Since diving season doesn’t open until April, it’s not an issue to wait.

Plus link shows only one left and I need two.

Sold my SM BC yesterday. Buying a used Halcyon BP from a friend so I don’t have to keep switching BP between doubles and single tank.

Sold my SM BC yesterday. Buying a used Halcyon BP from a friend so I don’t have to keep switching BP between doubles and single tank.
A lot of people use one plate and just add a single tank adapter (sta) for single tank diving. They work great and attach to the plate the same as doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom