Thinking of doubling up my HP80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That short plate is a game changer for me and a number of other short women I’ve encountered online. Trendy? Don’t think so. Why should we have to put up with gear that doesn’t fit very well?
No, I mean Halcyon. Since they think there is one true position they only have one set of holes.

Very interesting thread Marie! I learn so much from watching you try things, as we are both shorter gals and standard stuff does not really fit. Fascinating that you are liking doubles after trying sidemount. I love my steel HP80 almost as much as my old 72’s. I say drill the hole, it can’t hurt to have an extra hole, but have a local metal shop do it on a drill press, unless you have one, and if you do have a drill press mark the hole with a center punch, use a sharp drill bit, clamp the plate, use oil to lube. Stainless is hard.

If I had not found my fabulous vintage orange plastic backpack plate (for singletank only) I would only consider a short plate, which at this point means Halcyon. Even though the “H” tax is high, at least they acknowledge we exist!

Just snagged a pair of Hog tech fins on a FB sale group for $60. They’re heavier, have a short blade which I prefer, and best of all - my size (medium)!

You might not need those tail weights with the heavier fins!

You might not need those tail weights with the heavier fins!

Bingo! That’s why I’m trying the heavier fins. These were a bargain I couldn’t pass up. I prefer short blades since I’m short.

I love my jet fins, a similar fin: short “sports car” blades, and the heavier weight fixed my trim.

Just modify your plate. I know at least one source for plates (HOG) makes theirs with a long bottom slot to allow for some adjustment. Only downside is if you ever loan your tanks out, or need to switch plates.

View media item 206996

I dive around a lot of BM and SM divers. It’s pretty darn rare to find a SM diver who Is faster to Be “ready to go” than a BM diver of similar experience.

Sure there are exceptions...

Lately, I have been about 50/50 when diving open circuit. ....and keep in mind that every CCR is also a SM Dive with twin LP50s. So, I get plenty of practice.

Speed is hardly my primary concern, but I am still faster in my BM doubles.
True, but the comparison was after it was "hauled to the boat" so the tanks would be set up ready to go. You're sitting on the boat with your SM rig on, told to get ready, clip one tank on and jump in with the other one in your hand, clip it on and away you go. How much slower do you think that would be?

Back
Top Bottom