Thinking of doubling up my HP80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe that's because you were so slow in SM, not that you're that fast now?

I dive around a lot of BM and SM divers. It’s pretty darn rare to find a SM diver who Is faster to Be “ready to go” than a BM diver of similar experience.

Sure there are exceptions...

Lately, I have been about 50/50 when diving open circuit. ....and keep in mind that every CCR is also a SM Dive with twin LP50s. So, I get plenty of practice.

Speed is hardly my primary concern, but I am still faster in my BM doubles.

If things go well, I’m planning on doubling up another pair of my HP80s. The band issue is a problem. They’re too short to keep the 11” bolt spacing with the currently available bands (2.5”, I believe). The thinner bands I used are 1980s vintage and were bought used from a friend who only had one set. I was able to keep the 11” spacing with the thin bands.

I have two options I’m aware of. Use the currently available bands and have someone drill a hole in my plate for 10” spacing. The friend I bought skinny bands from has done that for other people. The other option is what @RyanT did - use 7.25” bands for top and 8” for the bottom, OVER the boots left on tanks. He said it was very stable. My current doubles do NOT have boots on them. Go look at the pics I’ve posted if you need confirmation.

Is there any other option I’m not aware of? I’d prefer to not to do option 2.

Edited for clarification since some people post knee jerk responses without reading entire post.

Remove the boots and place the lower band down a bit.

I’d suggest you look at the pictures I posted from yesterday’s pool dive and read my post again. Do you see boots on the tanks I was diving? Nope.

Again, HP80s WITHOUT boots are too short to use the currently available width bands and still maintain 11” bolt spacing.

If things go well, I’m planning on doubling up another pair of my HP80s. The band issue is a problem. They’re too short to keep the 11” bolt spacing with the currently available bands (2.5”, I believe). The thinner bands I used are 1980s vintage and were bought used from a friend who only had one set. I was able to keep the 11” spacing with the thin bands.

I have two options I’m aware of. Use the currently available bands and have someone drill a hole in my plate for 10” spacing. The friend I bought skinny bands from has done that for other people. The other option is what @RyanT did - use 7.25” bands for top and 8” for the bottom, OVER the boots left on tanks. He said it was very stable. My current doubles do NOT have boots on them. Go look at the pics I’ve posted if you need confirmation.

Is there any other option I’m not aware of? I’d prefer to not to do option 2.

Edited for clarification since some people post knee jerk responses without reading entire post.
Drill the holes in the BP. I had to take boots off the cylinders when borrowing a set and failing to realise I ought to ave borrowed the BP too, then I needed to remove the boots and move the bands. Then I had to sort the whole mess out before giving them back.

BTW, less trendy backplates may have more holes.

Drill the holes in the BP. I had to take boots off the cylinders when borrowing a set and failing to realise I ought to ave borrowed the BP too, then I needed to remove the boots and move the bands. Then I had to sort the whole mess out before giving them back.

BTW, less trendy backplates may have more holes.

That short plate is a game changer for me and a number of other short women I’ve encountered online. Trendy? Don’t think so. Why should we have to put up with gear that doesn’t fit very well?

e147e285-933e-4879-ab05-f212f9f88a98-jpeg.493711.jpg

There is still room to lower the bands. If the other bands are too wide, use one wide and one narrow band on each set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom