Things you've lost underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 300' fiberglass tape measure.

I responded to a swift water body recovery (no other details) in a steep narrow canyon to the largest camping site with numerous smaller sites along the road. I assumed the command post was chosen for the space and we’d be sent to somewhere else along the road. While the sheriff was briefing our team leader I walked across the road to check out the small (50 to 100 yards wide) river. A sort of a path led down to a large flat rock overhang just above the water, the perfect viewing platform. With the spring snowmelt the banks were rapidly eroding and dense vegetation hung over the very cold, fast and roiling water with big holes and snags. The noise was so pervasive I didn’t hear a man come and stand by me until he spoke. I didn’t understand him but startled, I about jumped out of my skin spinning around, he grabbed me and threw us both back towards the bank. I thought he had been a bit overprotective but as a female I was used to it from men. He apologized and yelled in my ear. All I caught was, “…because this is where.” Where what?” I yelled back and I got a private briefing, first hand account.

He and his family had come up the canyon for a picnic lunch away from the nearby city. His 4 year old son asked what the constant roar in the background was and the father thought it would be a good time to explain the dangers of water. He held onto his sons hand as they went to stand on this perfect viewing platform and were mesmerized by the powerful river. Just as before they turned to leave, the boy pulled at his fathers hand and shouted up, “Rivers are dangerous and I should stay away from them, huh?” The man nodded, let go of his son’s hand to turn around and when he reached to grab it again his son was gone.

Now this is a great lost and found….

Lost a Nikonos camera, but.......I got it back.
This was in the late 70s.
A pod of bottlenose dolphins just came and took it. They played with it for a while by dropping it and another one catching it before it hit the bottom. When they got tired, they just took off (one of them with the camera).
Almost at the end of our dive we heard the dolphins and as we looked up to see them there came the camera gently floating down towards us.

gaudencio:
hi,
I don't know if I should post this question under this forum . But anyway I am just curious of the things diver have lost underwater.
Things that I have lost in my 20++ yrs of diving.
1 Beauchat Speargun.
1 wrist watch Tudor. On my first Openwater dive. i forgot to take it off. exploded underwater.
1 depth gauge US divers
3 dive knives
1 spear shaft

getting on my boat in one of the brackish backwater holes in St. Thomas... my only set of boat keys fell between the dock and the boat! Oh crap...

Luckly the water was just deep enough to stand in... my the ground was mushy. Found the keys.

I have everything attached to my BCD one way or another so never lost anything so far....

Taipeidiver:
I lost every single piece of my dive gear when the tsunami hit Phuket.

BCD, regulator and console, wetsuit, fins, mask, hood, booties, gloves, 8C light, 4C light, spool, SMB, strobe, heliograph, knife etc., as well as all my other stuff.

I was in the Patong Beach Bungalows sleeping off my Christmas Day excesses and looking forward to a liveaboard in the Similans when the sea came and stole my flip flops. I managed to escape being trapped in the room after it filled up by swimming out of the window, but got myself pinned in a later wave and had to hold my breath until the water receded. When I got to safety I was completely naked but for a Citizen dive watch (certified tsunami proof) which I had bought a few weeks earlier.

I know I didn't strictly lose them while diving, though I guess I could log the swim through as a free dive :)

Most of the gear is replaced now, and as my injuries (mercifully slight) have healed I am pleased to report that I have returned to diving with all of my previous passion for the sport.

I guess you have to keep on keeping on!

I am glad to hear that you made it safely, and the only things u lost were ur clothes and ur gear instead of ur life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom