Things you've lost underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my first ocean dive, (4-5' seas at the start).. rushed to get out b4 it got bad..

Boat Captn was kind enough to "put you tank strap where it belongs"..
As I took out my new $9.95 cheepmart camera, at 25fsw,
the tank came loose, the valve knocked my mask off,
Rapidly finning to get my mask, my left fin came off.
retrieved mask, retreived fin, started for camera (holding tank bottom with one hand)

decided camera assent was faster than mine should be.....
All in all, I got all back except camera.. and a few minutes of dive....
dive buddy thumbed the dive. guess he thought I had enough drills for the day...
On the surface, he said " better to call a dive than a rescuer".

Haven't lost any gear on a dive so far (knock knock) - a buddy found a really nice pair of Ray-Bans under the public dock in Milwaukee - he wears prescription so he gave them to me. I was really styling for a few weeks until I was docking my boat and leaned over to tie her off - sure enough, plop! and not 10 yards from where they came from ...

Not sure if you call it lost, since everything I've "dropped" was eventually found.

Once I left my keys in my pocket when diving. Didn't realize it until I loaded up tanks to go get an airfill.

Me and my buddy went back to go try and find them. About 45 minutes into the dive I saw a small glint of them in the deep blackness of the lake below the thermocline.

Also got my wedding ring knocked off during a rescue class. Took a few hours sifting through the mud in zero vis to eventually find it. Thankfully my wife has never found out about this incident. :D

just a dive knife in gilboa quarry, but so much silt that even trying to find it will be impossible.

I have lost 2 brand new Ikelite mini C lights-red... diving on 2 different trips there in the past. Both times I had clipped them onto the cheap a@@ clip in my bc pocket. Needless to say I will never use that clip again. I'm sure somebody was pleased to find them!
Loretta

I have had **** luck. I have lost 2 count that 2 Aladin Air X wrist computers. The first one was due to a strap breakage in 200m of water the other even more bizar was after a dive I had shoved it in my fin pocket as usual for protection againt knocks and as I was putting my fins back in my bag on board the bow on the dive boat the air x popped out and promtly fell down a anchore chain hole that wouldnt have been more than a few mm bigger than the computer. Gone.

Let's see.... (1) mask off NC coast 1983, but was recovered; (1) weight pouch in Big Tub Harbor Tobermory 1997, it also was recovered; (1) dive light in the deep end of Gilboa Quarry, OH 2000.... If you found one, may I please have it back? It was black and had a light bulb at one end of it.

Respectfully,

JustDiveIt

Lost my dignity once on my way back in from a day of skin diving for lobster when my step-brother ran aground on a sandbar in the Florida Keys. Unfortunately for us we had passed over that exact spot when there was a slight spring tide and so when we tried it again (by way of GPS) at what we thought was the next high tide we became stuck. For the next hour or so we waited for the tide to come in but it was on it's way back out! Needless to say we sat there for the next 12 hours or so (well after dark) and when the tide finally came back up all of us guys ended up having to get out and push the boat off the sandbar as the water still wasn't high enough to float off. What made it even worse was the fact that in another boat were more family members and friends to be witnesses of the whole ordeal. And of course, they didn't even have the decency to wait on us.

You forgot the part about a certain family member being on the other boat, getting voted off the floating boat in exchange for the women on the stuck boat, and being left on the stuck boat for half of the 12 hours. Where is the love? Granted, had I not been exchanged, it would have been a lot more work for you guys pushing said boat.

2Tours N Iraq`:
Lost my dignity once on my way back in from a day of skin diving for lobster when my step-brother ran aground on a sandbar in the Florida Keys. Unfortunately for us we had passed over that exact spot when there was a slight spring tide and so when we tried it again (by way of GPS) at what we thought was the next high tide we became stuck. For the next hour or so we waited for the tide to come in but it was on it's way back out! Needless to say we sat there for the next 12 hours or so (well after dark) and when the tide finally came back up all of us guys ended up having to get out and push the boat off the sandbar as the water still wasn't high enough to float off. What made it even worse was the fact that in another boat were more family members and friends to be witnesses of the whole ordeal. And of course, they didn't even have the decency to wait on us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom