Things you've lost underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost a fin shore diving in North Carolina.

Found the exact same type of fin the next year a few miles down the beach. Nope it wasn't my fin, but it was a different manufacturer's make of the same fin I lost. Kinda weird.

.... I got it back.
This was in the late 70s.
A pod of bottlenose dolphins just came and took it. They played with it for a while by dropping it and another one catching it before it hit the bottom. When they got tired, they just took off (one of them with the camera).
Almost at the end of our dive we heard the dolphins and as we looked up to see them there came the camera gently floating down towards us.
I'll never forget that dive!
Happy Diving,
Pedro

A few weeks ago I was coming up over the reef from a very successful spearfishing adventure when a huge set of waves came in. I had a 130 on my back and the water was knee deep and then all of the sudden less than ankle deep. I knew something big was coming. Dropped down to hold onto the reef and in the haste of putting my regulator back in my pie hole I had to make the choice of dropping my bag of fish and speargun or my trusty fins (quatros). I dropped the fins and haven't seen them since. I also lost a bit of blood on that little tango with the reef.

Just a fin in the Cooper R. Like the boat capt. said, "The river giveth and the river taketh away". His fins didn't match and he said he didn't buy either one. The ones he had bought he no longer had. Ditto with his boat anchor.

The propellor off another guy's boat and the cotter pin or whatever it was that held a cap that apparently held the propellor in place. We found the propellor (good old gravity - it was right where we expected), but never did find the little pin and other pieces he described that were supposed to secure it. Of course, he knew exactly what they looked like because he had just been fiddling with them before we took off on this little adventure.

We were in the middle of nowhere in Brasil, south of Rio, among a bunch of little "islands" that amounted to not much more than a series of sandbars. This happened in the morning. We spent the whole day with most of us looking for the missing pieces, taking stock of our very meager supplies, and getting ready to spend the night when he succeeded in jury-rigging some contraption that held the propellor well enough that we decided to venture very slowly back out into open water where we found another boat that towed us home.

I lost my new dive knife on my first day of diving. That was all, but I figure I will give it time and it will happen :)

I haven't lost anything yet, but give it time. However, I went diving in Hospital Hole near Weeki Wachee yesterday (3-13-05) at a depth of around 70 feet and I looked up to see one of the guys I was diving with shrug his shoulders and look down. When I looked down, I saw one of his weights pass through a (quite stinky) layer of Hydrogen Sulfide on it's way to the bottom of the abyss at 140 feet. It looked like the weight was falling through the clouds. I bet anyone who is willing to pass through that layer into total darkness will have some interesting finds awaiting on the bottom.

Last summer I found a dive knife at Pearl Lake in S. Beloit, IL I was pretty darned happy about it. Turned out it was my boyfriends, he'd lost it on our 1st dive.

Summer before that I lost my integrated weight pouch at Pearl Lake. Searched & searched, to no avail.

Lost a fin strap in Curacao.

Lost my ex-boyfriend mask, while snorkeling. And found a different mask about 10 minutes later, so it was a wash.

I lost my dive knife in Canandaigua Lake but we came back diving the next day and found it!!! :)

Pencils for dive slates - lots & lots. I hate having my pencil tied to the slate but....
The first few I paid dearly at the dive shop. Then I found where I could buy them wholesale at a fraction of the price. So I generally end up giving a few away on each trip in addition to the ones I lose.
I'm clearly not the only one that loses them. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom