Things you've lost underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gaudencio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi,
I don't know if I should post this question under this forum . But anyway I am just curious of the things diver have lost underwater.
Things that I have lost in my 20++ yrs of diving.
1 Beauchat Speargun.
1 wrist watch Tudor. On my first Openwater dive. i forgot to take it off. exploded underwater.
1 depth gauge US divers
3 dive knives
1 spear shaft

I lost every single piece of my dive gear when the tsunami hit Phuket.

BCD, regulator and console, wetsuit, fins, mask, hood, booties, gloves, 8C light, 4C light, spool, SMB, strobe, heliograph, knife etc., as well as all my other stuff.

I was in the Patong Beach Bungalows sleeping off my Christmas Day excesses and looking forward to a liveaboard in the Similans when the sea came and stole my flip flops. I managed to escape being trapped in the room after it filled up by swimming out of the window, but got myself pinned in a later wave and had to hold my breath until the water receded. When I got to safety I was completely naked but for a Citizen dive watch (certified tsunami proof) which I had bought a few weeks earlier.

I know I didn't strictly lose them while diving, though I guess I could log the swim through as a free dive :)

Most of the gear is replaced now, and as my injuries (mercifully slight) have healed I am pleased to report that I have returned to diving with all of my previous passion for the sport.

I guess you have to keep on keeping on!

gaudencio:
Things you've lost underwater

My ex-girlfriend, to my old dive buddy. Not that I'm complaining. :D

Lil' Irish Temper:
My ex-girlfriend, to my old dive buddy. Not that I'm complaining. :D

Ouch...

A guy on my rescue course lost his brand new Suunnto Vyper...

gaudencio:
hi,
I don't know if I should post this question under this forum . But anyway I am just curious of the things diver have lost underwater.

Fins. More specifically, a fin. Twice, on back to back dives in Malibu, not long ago. Occasionally I still have problems getting out of surf with the leg, and I got wacked and dropped one. Later that week, dropped another.

Wetnotes - forgot to close the pocket on exit. Funny thing: They float. Plus it has my name and address next to "Body Of:" Never heard from anyone.

Lost a few of my home meade DIR knives... that's about $6.00 worth, I figger.

That's about it. Haven't lost much.

---
Ken

Wow, Taipei Diver, that's....well, I just don't have words for that.

I am glad you are ok after all that. How horrifying.

There is a snorkel with my name on it at the bottom of the Blue Hole in belize. (no great loss), A strobe/backup light with my name on it someplace around the Duane in Key Largo, and several hair scrunchies. I am sure I would have lost my masks and fins many times over if they did not float. I chose my fins (I have a few pair) because of that feature. I have beel either lucky or vigilant, I have not lost much.

lost a SCUBAPRO oil filled depth guage .... wristband broke when I hit the water in Mexico a few years back ...... Wife lost a Dacor turboflex fin once. She was ahead of me going up the dive ladder when one of her fins floated by and hit me in the face. I picked it up and yelled did you loose this? She yelled back : "did you get the other one too"?

More spear shafts than I can count (free shafting takes time to learn)
2 snorkels
2 knives
1 light
1 mask (it was my spare, I guess the strap broke and it fell off)
1 watch

wow, I guess I'm one of few here. Never lost anything and kinda planning on keeping it that way. Guess the minimalistic setup is good to have sometimes. Plus, I don't trust computer straps. Bungee all the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom