Things you've lost underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on a boat in Grand Caymen riding out to our first dive site of the morning when my mask decided to liberate itself from the rest of my gear and jumped over the side, never to be seen again. :11:

Luckily for me the dive master had an extra mask I was able to borrow for the day - of course it fit me poorly and leaked badly. I learned to appreciate a mask to that fits me well....and to secure my gear while the boat is moving.

I haven't lost anything personally, but my dive buddy and I both bought new Scubapro Twin-Jet Fins and went on a dive the same day. He realized he was basically swimming in circles and looked down to see that he was missing a fin. He was bummed. I admit, I was amused. His nickname, to this day is "Finless Joe" (somewhat like Shoeless Joe Jackson of baseball).

Taipeidiver:
I lost every single piece of my dive gear when the tsunami hit Phuket.

BCD, regulator and console, wetsuit, fins, mask, hood, booties, gloves, 8C light, 4C light, spool, SMB, strobe, heliograph, knife etc., as well as all my other stuff.

Most of the gear is replaced now, and as my injuries (mercifully slight) have healed I am pleased to report that I have returned to diving with all of my previous passion for the sport.

I guess you have to keep on keeping on!

Might I suggest wearing your gear 24/7 so this doesn't happen again :wink:

First dive with the spare air, I lost it due to the cheapo holster it came with, lucky me another diver found it and returned it to me at the safety stop. Needless to say, the darn thing is attached with a HD holster and a retractable.

Another time I lost my brand new casio G-Shock watch while water sking, I let the rope go and asked for a mask. Since we were at 10ft deep calm water, I manage to locate it. When I took the lifejacket off and free dived for 20 min coudn't find it.
On my next turn at the skis, about 1hr later, I asked for use the time searching for the watch, I found it after 3-5 min searching the same area.

Hummmm... So far in almost 2 years since I've been diving:

Bottom half of snorkel and lead weight during Rescue class
Aeris BC knife and Suunto SK-7 Compass (retractors suck) at Dutch Springs.
Wing inflator mouthpeice but found it a week later in Ft. Wetherill, RI

Almost lost one of my Jet Fins twice until I installed spring straps :)

When I was a kid, we played with snorkels and whatnot at the beach in florida where my grandfather lived. We used an inflatable raft with a sand filled milk container as an anchor. We lost it one day in the surf and could never find it. I found it approx ten years later snorkeling around that beach.

I have lost one LumiNox dive watch, but I found a cheapy on the same dive.

I have also found 4 knives (brand new), at least a dozen snorkles, several anchors, a mask, 3 dive lights, a finger spool (not on a wreck or in a cave), a mask, and another watch.

I found a snorkel during a dive but ended up accidentally dropping it back into the water whilst taking off my BC...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom