Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FatCat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
What, if anything, have you found and salvaged on your dives? I'm not talking about scavenging wrecks, I'm just curious to know what items, if any, all of you have stumbled upon while diving.

Here's my list to date :

4 kg of lead weights
2 masks
1 snorkel
1 safety sausage
1 bottle of champagne
1 dive knife with integrated bottle opener
assorted litter

214 Golf balls from assorted sites
Eyeglasses
Masks, snorkels and swim goggles

Seen lots of stuff like anchors and old cookware not able to haul back.

Spring is a good time to find ice fishing gear that got dropped in.

Pete

FatCat:
What, if anything, have you found and salvaged on your dives? I'm not talking about scavenging wrecks, I'm just curious to know what items, if any, all of you have stumbled upon while diving.

Here's my list to date :

4 kg of lead weights
2 masks
1 snorkel
1 safety sausage
1 bottle of champagne
1 dive knife with integrated bottle opener
assorted litter

Just one kilo of lead...

shotgun shell casings
golf balls
a downrigger cannonball
old Fox Deluxe beer can
huge salmon spoon
several fishing lures
many weights, some with pockets
a watch (it works)
a dollar bill

and my favorite

a complete rod & reel. It was great picking this up, then my buddies look back and see me swimming along with it. They did a double take. Then walking out of the water carrying it, someone actually walked over and and asked if I found it or did I bring it with the intention of fishing underwater.

Juls

Once when I was still a Navy Diver, while diving about 2 o'clock in the morning in Long Island sound looking for some missing pieces to a Submarine which had hit bottom, in the middle of this vast flat, sandy area I found a lump of coal. It was just sitting there all by itself. I searched an area of about 150 yards by 150 yards. Just a flat sandy bottom as far as I could see and 1 lump of coal which after 20 years I still have in my own little diving museum.

A belt of live machine gun shells...about 7 mm ? (in the Sulu Sea)
cases of beer on a Japanese ship wreck off West Malaysia

I've found plenty of the usual, but the most surprising find was... I was videotaping something floating in the water at about 20 feet. I film junk and debris for stock footage. As it drifted closer, and came into better focus, I realized it was a $20 bill. Paid for all my diving that weekend! I'm still waiting for a $100 to drift close.

Dr. Bill

I was diving the eastern jetties at Destin and found a hair scrunchy, a bra, a pair of panties, and a five dollar bill all in one hole in the rocks.

Is this an omen?

Back
Top Bottom