Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just before christmas i found a wallet with $70 in it. No ID or anything. So me and my buddy went to the pub for dinner and a few beers !

I haven't been diving for a few weeks so I thought I would share this old find with you.
It's an brass depth charge setting plate. we found buckets of these in one location at the bottom of halifax harbour.

Attachments

• _Device Memory_home_user_pictures_IMG00252.jpg
    _Device Memory_home_user_pictures_IMG00252.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 569
just before christmas i found a wallet with $70 in it. No ID or anything. So me and my buddy went to the pub for dinner and a few beers !
Nice, we have found wallets but the ID is the only thing left in it, the money long gone.

I forgot to mention that as a practical joker I have also planted items in advance only to pretend that I found them during the dive.

This recently backfired when a lady that was using a metal detector became very upset that I found pirate gold without the aid of any detecting equipment.
She would not leave our side for the rest of the day, even after I tired showing her that it was only a Disney coin replica from Pirates Of The Caribbean.
a6890bae-2453-42a7.jpg

Heheh -- On my dive in Key West, one instructor told us a story about a time when he saw something gold glinting at him in about 35' of water. Of course, treasure hunting is a big deal in the Keys... He said by the time he got down to what he saw, he knew what kind of house he was going to build, and where...what kind of car he was going to buy, the dream dive trip he was going to take his buddies on, and what kind of celebratory wingding he was going to throw in celebrating of his find. Then he picked up the glinting bit of 'treasure'....

It was a US Sacajaweya dollar coin....:rofl3:

As for me, when doing my cert dives under the Blue Heron Bridge, I found four rusting D-cell batteries that I picked up and trashed on shore. Also in Key West I picked up a cheap plastic snorkel rather than let it lie on the sea bottom....and got tut-tutted at by some of my fellow divers for 'taking something' out of the ocean after being instructed not to by our dive master....:no: I must be a very bad person...:eyebrow:

In fact, I'm such a bad person that the next time [if ever] I visit the Keys, I'm going to take a roll or two of nice new shiny loonies with me....:wink:

January in Washington means treasure hunting, as long as you dodge the floating ice. :D
Great fun, the ring is worthless but it was fun freezing my flippers off collecting this booty from about 7 feet of water.
I figure this will buy lunch in Roatan this March.

164555_146686125387937_100552343334649_274894_5669042_n.jpg

Holly Snappen, it is cold up here. Well we didn't get out again due to the cold weather, -28C today with the wind chill. So I think I will share a find with you, it's a deadlight that I recovered from the Costarican Trader. This was a 110 ft. troller that was used as a drug smuggler. The ship never made it to South America to pick up its load of contraband due to engine troubles. The crew had to get a tow back to Sheet Harbour, NS where they abandoned her and quickly purchased a replacement and made their voyage. What they didn't know is that the RCMP were onto them the whole time and on their return to Canada were quickly arrested. They thought they could dump the cargo of Coke that was stored in PVC Pipe and recover it later on, but our boys from the Navy's Fleat Diving Unit Atlantic made short work of recovering it.
What I like about this deadlight is that it actually has a bullet hole in it. Probably was made by someone taking pot shots at the ship prior to it sinking just off the jetty at the mouth of the East River but makes for good story telling.
ZDD

Attachments

• IMG00253.jpg
    IMG00253.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 757
Well, on a New Year's Day dive this past weekend, I was diving here in Cuba and found a heavily tarnished coin at the base of a coral head. I dropped it in my BC pocket and later that evening put it in a cup with some hite vinegar and after about 10 min, began cleaning it with a very soft toothbrush. Slowly the date 1792 appeared on one side. Halleluiah! It was a 2001 Kentucky state quarter. :acclaim:

:rofl3: Now THAT'S funny!

Artificial teeth, a feetrest of a wheelchair, a shopping cart, 2 guns (loaded), a bunch of creditcards, a german U-boat (in Norway) and all the sunglasses i will ever need. Mostly found during archaeological diving (collateral findings?) in the Anna-bay at Curacao.

Got out yesterday morning for a quick dive and picked up a Coca Cola hobble skirt bottle with 'CUBA' on the bottom. If I'm reading the marking I found on the side correctly, the bottle was made in Sept. of 1941. The bottle was very clean and is in exellent shape. I'll post some pics soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom