Thigh Pocket: Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm switching over to an ultra-light BP/W and will no longer have a have a place to store my SMB. (Currently connected to the bottom of my BP via holes on the bottom of the plate and bungee loops.)

DGE has a sale on pockets for a few more days so I'm eyeing the thigh pocket seen HERE (3rd from the top). Please chime in if you've got experience with this type of pocket. I have no interest in glueing a pocket to my wetsuit or X-shorts so no need to waste your time suggesting either. :wink:

TIA! :)

I have no interest in glueing a pocket to my wetsuit

TIA! :)
Have SOMEONE ELSE glue TWO pockets to your wetsuit. :wink:

Why wouldn't you want to mount them to your wetsuit? It is easy to do, semi permanent, clean, and will always be in the right place to access your safety item.

The pocket you list will move all over the place and could easily snag something with how exposed the corners are. Of course we have the kelp monster that grabs everything possible.

FWIW I have X-shorts, and wish my pockets were glued on.

Pockets are a good idea (spare mask, wet notes, spools, etc). You could always just clip the spool/SMB to your butt d-ring if you don't want to glue on a pocket.

I'm planning on ditching the crotch strap so no butt ring for me anymore.

Have SOMEONE ELSE glue TWO pockets to your wetsuit. :wink:

Why wouldn't you want to mount them to your wetsuit? It is easy to do, semi permanent, clean, and will always be in the right place to access your safety item.

The pocket you list will move all over the place and could easily snag something with how exposed the corners are. Of course we have the kelp monster that grabs everything possible.

FWIW I have X-shorts, and wish my pockets were glued on.

Dive Rite claims that "silicone strips placed on the inside of the band grip your exposure suit and keep the leg band in place" so I'm hoping that this is actually true...

Or, go with pockets on shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm planning on ditching the crotch strap so no butt ring for me anymore.

Dive Rite claims that "silicone strips placed on the inside of the band grip your exposure suit and keep the leg band in place" so I'm hoping that this is actually true...

I agree you will be back to a crotch strap. LOL

Many manufacturers claim lots of stuff, and rarely do I believe them. This is the same manufacturer that makes fluffy harness after all. I know when surface swimming all kinds of things move around, as your muscles expand and contract while moving water all around them.

Which ever way you decide to go, I would recommend putting bungee cord inside and clipping everything in your pocket off with either a bolt snap or a double ender.

Anna, I note that you are in Vancouver, so my input might not be very relevant, but I too have abandoned the crotch strap. It is just not at all necessary for my warm-water diving. I have sympathy for your reluctance to glue on a pocket as well. I do have one glued on, and it is convenient, but I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer, and it looks sloppy and is curling up at the corners to reveal the glue. It's tempting (to me) to have one included on a custom wetsuit, but I only dive in 3-mm or less and the off-the-rack suits fit fine, so it's hard to justify the added expense and effort of having one custom-made.

I have one of those and have been on several dives with it. They aren't bad. They are a little more of a hassle to put on and they will slip around on a wetsuit with the depth caused compression of a wetsuit. Not bad but I would rather have a pocket glued on. I've also worn mine with a drysuit, it doesn't slip around as bad but I still would rather have a permanently attached pocket.

Just my $.02 and probably not worth that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom