There's more than one way to skin a horse...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is too cool! The difference between a farm horse and a highly trained competition horse is a joy to feel. I too had horses from the time I was 12 until I was 21 and college got in the way. I only rode a "good" horse once and that was a couple of years ago--showed a friend's quarter horse stallion in an amature western pleasure class and he was an absolute dream to ride and knew enough about his job to fix my mistakes :D Looks like you had a great time!
Ber :lilbunny:

ooohh, Western pleasure horses are so smoooth. I love that slow lope thing.

I had no idea you all had beaches. :11doh:

I think we should turn this thread into a love-fest for our ponies. I have some pics of my former Canadian Thouroughbred, Sweet Dreams, but I would have to scan first.

On a serious note, I have one of Dana Reeves with Wills standing next to me with my Alexa in a leadline class for the Christpher Reeves Spinal Trauma foundation at UCI...it probably would make me cry.

The last time I rode was on the big island, up near Waimea. If you are vacationing, it is worth the drive up into the hills for a trail ride. We had snow capped mountains.

TSandM:
This was my passion for 17 years, until I discovered you could spend time underwater and live :)

I've always wondered what could make someone passionate about horses. My sister was horse crazy too but I always assumed it was just a girl thing..... LOL

Actually, I do like to ride horses although I've never really learned it other than just by climbing on and going..... It *has* lead to a couple of pretty ....interesting.... rides.

In Zimbabwe I went into a nature reserve on horseback. The park ranger had some horses and he let me borrow one for a couple of hours. I went into the park alone and took advantage of being on horseback to get close to the animals. I was getting some great pictures until the rhinoceros walked out of the bushes right behind me. I turned to look....the horse turned to look....and as soon as he saw the rhino, which was only a few metres away, he went stiff and started running like someone had shoved a burning torch up his..... you know. I was at a loss as to what to do so I just let him run and counted to 30. At 30 I tried stopping him and it worked. I was happy that I didin't fall off.

Another time I was is Rajasthan with a my wife (she wasn't my wife at the time) and we had just taken a camping trip on camel back through the desert. It sounded all romantic but if there is *one* animal that can make you wonder why man ever bothered trying to domesticate animals, it has to be the camel.... But that's a whole other story. After a few days of riding around on a camel my hips and legs were so stiff that I was having dreams about having amputation surgery. When we got finished camping I swore never to ride a camel again and on a whim I "rented" (yes, you can do this in India) a horse for a couple hours ride around in the desert on an animal with an IQ higher than 12 (which is giving the camel more credit than it deserves). On the way out everything went great. I was having fun, the horse felt small, agile and responsive and the scenary seemed so much more beautiful than it had the day before, but on the way back the closer we got to our destination, the jumpier the horse got. She kept trying to run and seemed to get more and more focused on the goal of being home. It was almost like it started turning into a camel! LOL. I figure she was hardwired on the route and didn't get many riders who wanted to do something else....

R..

Ber Rabbit:
That is too cool! The difference between a farm horse and a highly trained competition horse is a joy to feel.
Ber :lilbunny:

I resemble that remark...:D

My favorite horse is a 17.1 hand Black Percheron with his whole tail...NOT DOCKED...:D

He has competed at Training Level Dressage as a ridden horse, as well as Road Cart classes...:D

And he still drags the arenas for the wife's horses...:D

My little Morgan girl and me when she was 6 weeks and now at almost 3 years - ready to start training in earnest, although she doesn't know it yet! :)

Had to put down my Arab gelding after 20 years - I feel your pain Scuba65.

Back
Top Bottom