There's more than one way to skin a horse...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
... uh ... wait...no... that's supposed to be RIDE, not skin :11:

I've been riding horses my whole life... including the part before I was actually born, since my mom rode while she was preggers with me :D Most of that riding has been either the "western" style with the big, comfy saddle and a handle to hang on to or with no saddle at all. I have spent probably less than 10 hours TOTAL in one of those dinky little "english" saddles.

Well, since I'm in Seattle, Lynne (TSandM on SB) invited me up to her place north of Seattle today for lunch and to see her 'babies'. I asked if she would give me a 'Dressage' lesson, since I have never ridden that way and that's her preffered riding discipline. For those that don't don't know, dressage is actually a way of training a horse and rider to work together to greater and greater levels of discipline and performance. When watching it at the more advanced levels, it's almost like a dance the horse and rider perform together. The cues from the rider to the horse (once both are trained) are very subtle. At the top levels of training, the horses do the "Aires above the Ground" performance of the Spanish Riding School... spectacular to watch!! And of course, something I have always been intrigued by and have wanted to try.

Anyhow, Lynne agreed to let me rider her baby. So after lunch we went to the stable, I signed a waver, helped brush and saddle "Eisvein," donned a helmet and off we went.

Holy cow :eek_2: I didn't know I was in for such a workout!!! By tomorrow I'm gonna be feeling muscles I forgot I had. It's a lot more work than sitting back in a big ol' western saddle and letting the horse meander down a trail (my preffered riding discipline :D). But in it's own way, it was actually a lot of fun. Many of the signals to the horse through the rider's legs, feet, butt and hands are similar across the board, so it really wasn't that hard for me to ask the horse to do what I wanted.... The trick was in asking the horse to do what Lynne wanted me to get her to do.... which is way beyond the level of training my own lazy horses are at.

Not a great picture, but this really is me riding a real dressage-trained horse at a trot :D

Dressage1.jpg

Cool...You look good...
If you want some safety insurance...ask her for a "Bucking Strap"...it goes on the front of the English saddles...used when teaching jumping...:D

very collected! It is hard not to post the trot. Do these horses ever go out on the trail "for their minds"? We would take the hunters out...
Paul lives in that world of cosequin bills!

It's really cool how many of us dive and ride. What's the connection?

My mare foaled last night--georgeous little filly. Sire is a fine reiner and Dotti is a good pleasure horse. Hope we've got his muscles and her temperment. That would mean $$$ for diving. Oh, there's one connection!

Aargh!! You make me miss riding!! I grew up in Virgina where there was a horse on every corner, and for a little stable-cleaning, I could ride all I wanted in exchange.
Florida is home of the very rich riding set, and lessons here are so over the top expensive I had to stop years ago. Sigh.

Awhhhhhh you make me miss riding also and my horse. I had an arabian and had to be put down a couple of yrs. ago due to a really bad injury. I love horse's and wish i could get another one...I live in Boston not too good of a place to have one.

I had such a good time yesterday, doing this. I love to teach and rarely get a chance to do it, and almost NEVER get a chance to work with somebody with Snowbear's underlying skills. Unfortunately, I didn't get any video of the really good stuff at the end of the ride, when things really "clicked" between the two of them, and Eis gave Snowbear a nice little taste of medium trot.

Yes, we go out on trails:
0c6772c0.jpg

And we work with one of the trainers from the Spanish Riding School:
01d5e0b0.jpg

This is the brave one:
015883a0.jpg

This was my passion for 17 years, until I discovered you could spend time underwater and live :)

Lynne, i really enjoyed those! What a beautiful trail! (beach) I used to take my horse down to the beach in Santa Barbara and we would try and get them through the surf, so they could swim. I am not sure if it was good for them, the cold water and all. they sure are powerful swimmers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom