There's more than one way to skin a horse...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're doing a selfless thing for your guy. Its hard for me to find time to care for one let alone more! Its hard for us to deal with the separation from them, but in the long run, finding him his own dedicated person to play with and take care of him is in his best interest. When I was too busy to visit my gelding often and too poor to keep him in a well maintained barn, I sent him to live with my parents all the way across the country. I only saw him one more time before he passed away, but he had a much better life and I could sleep at night knowing he was safe and well fed. Its hard to part with them, but sometimes circumstances are such that its better for them.

Can't help but add some pictures - He's playing with me here - I would get him to rear for the camera - I still miss him a lot...

He looks like a very high quality Arabian. They are really wonderful animals.

TSandM:
I've decided to sell the young horse (the brave one). I'm not riding enough. I'm spending too much time diving. This is a great sadness, because I've known him since he was born, and he was more or less given to me by one of my very best friends. But it's not doing him justice to ignore him, and given the choice between riding him and breathing off a regulator, he's regularly losing . . . :(

What a very, very hard choice to make....I hope that his new owner will feel for him as much as you do.

Snow, sorry to hear that you have to do the same this spring. I know how much your horses mean to you.

When I was in college I tried out & made the university's equestrian team. I had never riden much in my life (other than 1 or 2 boring trail rides). The team needed beginner riders at the time & I was in a beginner horsemanship class. When I started I didn't know one end of the horse from the other. I stayed on the equetrian team for all 4 eligible years and made it to the intermediate show levels by the time I graduated. In the horsemanship classes I went on to the intermediate levels & the advanced levels. My major was in animal health technology and I later picked up a minor in equine science. In the course of the 4 1/2 years I was there I learned to ride (in proper equitation style) Stock seat (western), Hunt Seat (english), jumping, a little dressage and breaking & training of colts. I learned horse care by working the university horse farm for 3 years (about 90- 120 head at anyone time). To this day I still enjoy horseback riding (though terrribly out of shape). I believe in the saying about horses,"thou shalt have flight without wings". Nothing is more exhilerating than a gallop on a noble steed. I even have 3 saddles (2 western & 1 english) decorating my living room and don't (yet) have a horse to show for it. I enjoy each style of riding for what it offers. Stock Seat is a very relaxed style, where as Hunt Seat is more athletic. I share your love of the equestrian sport, whether its western or english, for sport or relaxation. Ride on! :D

catherine96821:
Ber, like your pose!
Thanks Catherine! That was the senior picture the photography studio put on their pamphlet for a couple of years after it was taken. He also had one of the large prints made and it hung in his office for at least 10 years. He was retiring and mom happened to stop by his studio so he let her buy the large picture for a small price and it hangs in my living room now.

Smoke may have been a bit of a flake but she never panicked in unusual situations and since I'd never been around horses when I got her she experienced a lot of novice mistakes that could have gotten one or both of us killed if she had freaked out. I loved that horse, best friend and riding instructor I could ever have asked for.
Ber :lilbunny:

justleesa:
Thanks for the stories and pictures.....Love horses, but allergies keep me away....:bawling:

You need to see if a Bashkir Curly would trigger your allergies, they are known as hypo-allergenic horses. I've only ever seen one and the curly coat is really unique.

American Bashkir Curly home page
Breed profile
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom