There is no way pockets should be this expensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seabass

Reaction score
Maybe I don't understand, but why are these Halcyon pockets so expensive?

10"L x 7"W flat pocket:
$54

10"L x 6"W drysuit pocket; bellowed, with zipper:
$68

10"L x 6"W drysuit pocket; bellowed, with velcro:
$68

Others have mentioned pockets at $30, I think that is still ridiculously expensive. A reasonable price would be in the $10 range. Aside from liability and profits, is there a real technical reason why the pockets cost this much? If not, I will make them myself at a cost of less than $10 each (bulk should be much less).

Talk to Bob3. He has some pretty reasonable pockets from Northern Diver.

Ty

I went with the dive rite thigh pockets, and I'm _very_ happy with them. I didn't really want to attach them permanently, as I have two different wetsuits, and I'll have a drysuit hopefully in January. When I got them and tried them out, the velcro on them is _very_ strong [it's about a 4 inch elastic band with a 4x6 patch
of velcro. It's very secure, so secure that with gloves I occasionally have a hassle getting the velcro undone on the surface when removing my weight belt [if I forget to release the velcro while doing my safety stop...

Beast has been looking at pockets for months. What would look good and likely to please in the shop wouldn't work in practicality. And we won't EVEN talk about the money spent on pockets we don't use! A few weeks ago he found a DR thigh pocket like Funky described....he loves it! Since he uses both a single rig and a double rig, he doesn't have to keep moving the pockets back and forth between them. The strap around the thigh is very secure and stay in place in his leg.

I know there has been a high demand for them so there probably still on back order.

They are on backorder...

Another trick someone mentioned to me is attaching (sewing, gluing, whatever) your pockets to a pair of bicycle shorts and then wearing them over whatever suit you want (or by themselves for caribbean diving). That way, if you have multiple wetsuits, you can move the pockets between the suits and still have them securely attached.

My next project is to sew my own pockets using rip stop fabric. (parachute material). I have scraps of this material, use it for photography (black to get rid of any reflection and white to use as a soft box material for studio lights) BTW: This fabric is not hard to come by. I can usually find it in the bargin (reminate) bin at Walmart for $1.00 a yard. Reason you can find it at Walmart is it is used for making windsocks too.

I mean this material and a little velcro, and should be able to make any size pockets to attach to the webbing I want. Not?

I mean it IS just a pocket. Do want a simple pocket for holding fish food or maybe a sausage. I am using the setup for rec diving so don't have a primary light on my right hip, so why not a pocket there.

If anyone sees a problem with this, please let me know. Before I go through with it and discover I've made something that is gonna mess up my diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom