"The Wetter The Better" save lionfish from death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Lionfish Haters...

I am on my way to Cozumel in less than 12 hours (I know...don't envy me too much). I will be on the lookout for Lionfish in Cozumel armed with chopsticks, snorkel and whatever else I can use to tame the wiley beast. Wish me luck, gang. Hold down the home front.
I will have my laptop with me for up to the minute reporting.

Over and out,
Mary

Since you'll be in Cozumel "armed and ready" Mary, can you let us know if any of the Divemasters can show you specific instances or areas where the lionfish invasion has caused a problem?

Scott

Since you'll be in Cozumel "armed and ready" Mary, can you let us know if any of the Divemasters can show you specific instances or areas where the lionfish invasion has caused a problem?

Scott

Hola...yes indeed I will find out what I can. Did a mini shore dive this afternoon after arriving. My equipment had failure, major leak around my Air 2. And this, after spending $$$ to have my yearly maintanence done this week. I don't think Colorado dive shop knows what they are doing. Or maybe it was the royally squashed suitcase by Continental airlines should take the blame. Anyway, tourism and diving are alive and well here. Hopefully the Lionfish are not.

Mary

Hola...yes indeed I will find out what I can. Did a mini shore dive this afternoon after arriving. My equipment had failure, major leak around my Air 2. And this, after spending $$$ to have my yearly maintanence done this week. I don't think Colorado dive shop knows what they are doing. Or maybe it was the royally squashed suitcase by Continental airlines should take the blame. Anyway, tourism and diving are alive and well here. Hopefully the Lionfish are not.

Mary

:shocked2:You dive an AirII? You're gonna die.

May I suggest you get a real octo and use the Air II to bludgeon lionfish?:viking2:

Scott

You might want to check out the latest issue of Alert Diver - along with reports from REEF and MANY other reliable sources for reports of devastation of indigenous fish populations due to lionfish invasions......

Mary,
Glad to hear you got wet quick and found your gear problem before you were out on the boat ready to hit the reef. "I just got it serviced!" is the familiar refrain you hear on gear failures...

leslief, ddeborahdelamar, and I are all supposed to be on the same flight out of Atlanta in a few hours. We're going to be on the lookout for each other. We'll have to get on island and be on the lookout for you!

Hope you have great dives today!

Chip, Another tidbit for Stating the Obvious?

Mary

Pictures....we want pictures........

lionfish

Mary
AIRII!!! HOLY CRAPOLA :) You sure like living life on the edge :)

Hopefully you get your airII squared away so you can spend the entire time under water . . .

:shocked2:You dive an AirII? You're gonna die.

May I suggest you get a real octo and use the Air II to bludgeon lionfish?:viking2:

I like this idea, I never did understand how one could be assisting an OOA diver and control their bouyancy with an AIRII in their mouth . . . we used them in classes at the shop, I hated them . . . YMMV :D

AIRII!!! HOLY CRAPOLA :) You sure like living life on the edge :)

Hopefully you get your airII squared away so you can spend the entire time under water . . .

I like this idea, I never did understand how one could be assisting an OOA diver and control their bouyancy with an AIRII in their mouth . . . we used them in classes at the shop, I hated them . . . YMMV :D

The only thing worse than an Air II is a lionfish....and poodle jackets....

Have never liked the Air II idea from the first time I saw one.
My one and only dive accident was caused by not venting the BCD correctly, from not holding the hose high enough above my head to get correct venting. It was my fault completely for thinking I (an "experienced" diver- so I thought) could use this new-fangled invention (a BCD) with no training, just a casual introduction to it's use by the lds where I first saw one.
Thinking of having to make an ascent, in a high stress situ, while having to use the Air II as my primary reg, and not held in my hand in the vent position turned my off.

Have never liked the Air II idea from the first time I saw one.
My one and only dive accident was caused by not venting the BCD correctly, from not holding the hose high enough above my head to get correct venting. It was my fault completely for thinking I (an "experienced" diver- so I thought) could use this new-fangled invention (a BCD) with no training, just a casual introduction to it's use by the lds where I first saw one.
Thinking of having to make an ascent, in a high stress situ, while having to use the Air II as my primary reg, and not held in my hand in the vent position turned my off.

Not to mention they breathe crappy, add failure points, are a P.I.T.A. to maintain and that short hose sucks god forbid you ever do have to use it as an octo.

Oh, lionfish suck too.

Don't guess I should mention that I have had that style set up for 18 years, have done two successful rescues with it (that I can think of off the top of my head) and have never had a bit of trouble with it - from a maintenance or buoyancy control standpoint.

Of course, I think my reg is getting set up with an octo with an extra-long hose so I can share with a second low-on-air-diver, if need be, while I am here...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom