"The Wetter The Better" save lionfish from death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not remember this Koan verbatem or it's author but it applies to our spearing the Lionfish we can find.

Early one day just at dawn an old man was walking on the beach and he saw a young boy ahead of him. The young boy bent down and picked up a starfish throwing it into the sea. The old man asked the boy "What are you doing." The young boy replied "I am throwing starfish into the sea. Soon the day's sun will be up and they will bake in the heat and die." The old man said, "But there are miles of beach and thousands of starfish what you are doing is pointless." The young boy looked up at the old man and said.. "It matters to this one" , and threw another starfish into the sea.

People please stay on track...

LIONFISH :winky:

Cummon, give us a break. Scantily clad women are always a welcome distraction, even from the job of saving the world. :D
OK, back to hunting down and eating these invaders!

This is a great idea, luckily we don't have enough in South Florida to warrant a contest and I for one plan on doing my part to keep it that way.

Lionfish_smash.jpg

Getting a slow start here this morning. 11 pages posted in this thread yesterday, and most of it was good info and dialog. Maybe everyone else is out hunting the nasty little monsters down already today (hopefully!)!

Every diver in our waters should be made aware of this invasion, and enlisted to both watch for infestations and help in removing any that are found. Obviously not everyone will co operate, but if enough divers are made aware, and keep their eyes open we can at least slow the invasion while we search for a real long term solution to the problem.

Interesting that they would have a contest for a fish we have been told is near impossible to spear though.:popcorn:

There are two possibilities for sponsoring such a lionfish contest.

Either it's a total scam to milk $50 from unsuspecting entrants that have no chance of actually spearing such a fast moving fish

Or

They're hoping to attract some of the best spearo's in the world and having them so hungover from the open bar that they end up staying an extra day or two, causing them to spend more $$ on rooms.

As promised photos of the Lionfish my sister helped capture on her Scuba Trip to Key Largo.
Lionfish captured on the wreck of the Benwood in Key Largo, FL 6/9/09 using a plastic bag and 2 snorkels. Dive boat - Scuba-Do
And Good morning we-like-them-in-the-Pacific-not-in-the-Atlantic-LIONFISH Haters!

Lionfish1.jpg

Lionfish2..jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom