Quality Carbon Monoxide Detectors for Scuba Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those that have the Palm CO Detector, where do you get bump gas to calibrate it after 12-14 months of use?

Another choice:

I have been using a Forensics Detectors O2 meter. It gets the same reading as others on the boat.

I have been eyeing their CO detector capable of < 1ppm readings.

The videos on the site are a bit "sham wow" ish, but I conversed via email getting quick responses to all of my queries. Also mentioned they were working with DAN on a CO meter.

I have been using a Forensics Detectors O2 meter. It gets the same reading as others on the boat.

I have been eyeing their CO detector capable of < 1ppm readings.

The videos on the site are a bit "sham wow" ish, but I conversed via email getting quick responses to all of my queries. Also mentioned they were working with DAN on a CO meter.

Do you fill a bag with gas from the tank and put analyzer in or do you blow directly at the analyzer from the tank?

Following a recommendation by @DandyDon, I bought a Sensorcon CO detector, which luckily came with a yoke adapter to attach to the tank valve, and a plastic hose that connects to the yoke adapter at one end, and the Sensorcon unit at the other end. Unfortunately, Sensorcon apparently does not make the yoke adapter any more, but I am pretty sure you could make one. I put the Sensorcon in a Ziplock bag, insert the hose from the yoke adapter, and gently crack the valve to inflate. As @DandyDon recommended in a CO detector post a long time ago, I hold the bag securely to insure I don't blow it overboard if I am too aggressive with valve cracking. If I forget to bring the yoke adapter, I put the bag with Sensorcon inside directly over the tank valve and seal as best as I can to get the reading. So far, the highest CO reading registered on my own tanks has been 0 ppm, and 2 ppm on rental tanks, but when I tested a dive buddy's one day before a dive, it registered 28ppm. Retested three times to negate operator error. We scrubbed the dive, and he had to get his tank cleaned and refilled. CO detectors are not cheap, but I only have one life to live, so I pay the money, and enjoy the air or Nitrox in the tank.

Do you fill a bag with gas from the tank and put analyzer in or do you blow directly at the analyzer from the tank?
I believe you would blow it at the analyzer. There is a "calibration" fitting that clamps over the end then connects to a test cylinder. I would likely modify that to fit on my inflator hose and analyze that way.

I did similar with the O2 sensor and to me it reduces the "extra" air flowing past the sensor vs other methods.

In your profile picture, you are wearing a seat belt. But you probably have never been in a head-on severe vehicle collision. So why do you wear the belt ?

PS. I test every tank for CO or I don't dive it.
...Because he didn't have to pay $400 extra for it, the car just came with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom