The Terri Schiavo Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
dlndavid:
*****back to Terri******
I agree, watching from the "sidelines" here i may be tempted to remove any more posts discussing things outside the original theme of the thread, lets keep it on track folks!

Consider this the warning shot :wink:

This is precisely why I simply refuse to talk about this case with anyone other than my husband. It comes down to fundamental differences of opinion.

MikeFerrara:
I can't argue. All I know is what was reported.

Then frankly, you should Butt Out!

You don't know Terri, you don't know Michael and you can't be bothered to even check up on what is going on.

You are just parroting statements made by one side without even doing a minimum of checking to see if they even make sense.

Just like Jeb Bush going on TV and saying "Terri wants to live"
First off he HAS NO WAY TO KNOW THAT.
He has never even met her!

The abuse in this case is by the parents and the governer and legislature.

Chirst, can't these Bu****es ever admit that they are WRONG and that they have lost and THEN MOVE ON?

It seems to me, the same people who keep fighting this thing are the same ones who during a hotly contested election kept saying, "It is over, just move on."

Where is the morality in Lying?

H2Andy:
speaking of Terri, the US Supreme Court and a Florida court have both
refused to hear any further arguments on the matter:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../20050324/ap_on_re_us/brain_damaged_woman_106

the last legal battle in place is a hearing tomorrow, on a petition by the
Department of Children & Families (at the request of Gov. Bush) to
take custody of Terri. the grounds are that disconnecting the feeding tube
constitutes abuse.

Andy - I think there is also one more emergency hearing scheduled in Fed. Court (Tampa) on a motion just filed by the parents. I believe Judge Greer today denied the State's motion for protective custody, but there may be a new development in circuit court that I don't know about.

H2Andy:
i agree... did you get to read the article i posted a few posts back:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...maged_woman_106

It's a sad when even the brother says this;

This is not about Terri anymore. This is all a political view," Scott Schiavo, Michael Schiavo's brother, told CNN on Thursday

Maya:
Andy - I think there is also one more emergency hearing scheduled in
Fed. Court (Tampa) on a motion just filed by the parents. I believe Judge Greer
today denied the State's motion for protective custody, but there may be a new
development in circuit court that I don't know about.

thanks... we'll see

Is is not ABOUT Terri.
It IS all about power and turf wars.

There are plenty of people in this state who don't need a fraction of what Terri needs, are not in a vegetative state, ARE being abused in nursing homes and DCF is doing NOTHING about them.

How do I know?

When my GF was being abused in a nursing home we could not get DCF to do anything AT ALL. I couldn't afford lawyers to fight things out so we got NOTHING. No intervention by the Gov.. No new laws being written. Not even the existing laws being enforced.

If you want to make claims about the people involved you might want to check your facts. After all,
HOW MANY OF YOU KNOW ANY OF THESE PEOPLE AT ALL?

Elevatorguy2:
I’m reading that people feel it’s “better” if she is allowed to pass....

That seems to be the feelings of many people that I have spoken with, in person. Many of these people feel that "it is creepy that her parents are trying to keep her alive after all this time."

I would think that it is perfectly normal that the parents would want to keep her alive, no matter how long has past. And I cannot understand why the husband won't simply remand custory of her back to her parents, especially if they are willing to pay for the medical care. I am a little uncomfortable with his instructions to unplug her.

But that is what he wants, and the courts have agreed with him. And presumably the judges believe that he has the right to decide. The irony is that his wife might very well agree with him. Even if the parents do not agree.

And the salient issue before the judges is: what would Terri Schiavo want for herself?

That issue is being forgotten, in much of this discussion.

As for me, I would have wanted to be unplugged after 6 months, and my organs donated to others, just as an example.

dlndavid:
My wife, bless her heart, she isn't following this, but she just told me, please don't kill me, and I would not kill you. I'll have to think about that.

That seems to be the viewpoint of Terri Schiavo's parents as well. Unfortunately we do not have a written document telling the world what her own views are.

I can see a comfort value in keeping someone alive, even for 15 years, even in a vegetative state. But it is not clear that the victim themselves would always want that, unlike your wife, who just told you that is what she would specifically want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom