The Terri Schiavo Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
triton94949:
I would then rest happily in Eternity knowing that my organs had gone to help other people live on, rather than waste away in a hospital bed for 15 years or more.

And a couple surgeons, a hospitol and assorted support personal made millions installing the raw material that you gave them for free. LOL

I was going to post something about the Establishment clause in the First Amendment, but somebody beat me to it.

-G

H2Andy:
actually, the magic figure for an organized dispute resolution system (what courts,
lawyers, and judges are) is about 50,000 people. up to that point, you can
have decentralized (or even informal) dispute resolution systems work.

once you have that many people, you have to develop a centralized dispute
resolution system or you won't be able to resolve the issue of stability for the
continued growth of the society (and stability comes from (a) lack of personal
vendettas to resolve problems; and (b) a coherent code by which all citizens
can live and expect others to live)

at least according to Jared Diamond, author of Guns, Germs, and Steel

Fascinating findings!

Granted, informal judges (like mayors, sheriffs, councils etc) can provide judgment resolution services to the community on a small scale.

50,000 is a good sized town or city however. I suppose the issue is frequency as well as proximity to a larger city with the needed resources. Just like the need for doctors, a town has a need for lawyers, judges, and accountants as well. Marriages, for one thing. Births and deaths as well. Wills. Property transfers. And of course, the salient issue: disputes.

triton94949:
Mike I would not fault them for that. Everybody has got to make a buck somehow! :)

I agree and in consideration of my families financial well being after I'm gone I'm will to make an up front deal on my organs.

speaking of Terri, the US Supreme Court and a Florida court have both
refused to hear any further arguments on the matter:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../20050324/ap_on_re_us/brain_damaged_woman_106

the last legal battle in place is a hearing tomorrow, on a petition by the
Department of Children & Families (at the request of Gov. Bush) to
take custody of Terri. the grounds are that disconnecting the feeding tube
constitutes abuse.

*****back to Terri******

As for Terri, given the love affair that SCOTUS now has with foreign law, I am not suprised that Terri will be allowed to die (euthanasia) and that murderers will not be executed.

Uhhhh, Guys & Gals . . .

I think we are doing exactly what everyone fails to see. . . .

We are turning this into a religion, and politics debate and forgetting about Terri .

Remember Her ?

Just my opinion though, before I get blasted. :flame:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom