The Swampers have a new mascot!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver once bubbled...
Why not? Just curious

For one thing the TSDT is a chapter of NDI and as such is a representative by extension. Unless and until NDI sanctions, supports and/or approves of such activities, we cannot and will not do so either and even then it will be with 100% approval my the TSDT members.

For another, TSDT doesn't need to get officially involved. If you or any other members want to back this man and his efforts, that's your business, but not everyone will agree.

I can understand that. I figured that was behind it and agree with you on your reason.

I still like the idea and reason for his petition. I would love to be able to either call up or by web order a scuba related product. I think the instore policies of the scuba Mfg's is crazy and limits the sport. I've never seen any other product that is so restricted as Scuba eq is.

Geek

I tend to disagree with the statement that brick and mortar stores are dooming the scuba industry. I personally don't like the idea of sending a regulator to someone that I've never met (and more importantly never checked their C-card) who might be using it "to play around in the pool" with no formal scuba training. What happens if that idiot suffers a barotrauma due to lack of training? Who are they going to sue? I guarantee that my name, the company's name, and the names of the owners of the shop will be on the short list that any attorney will draw up as liable for this persons pain & suffering because we didn't exercise due diligence by verifying beyond a doubt that this person is really who they say they are, with the certifications that they say they have.

If an accurate way of checking credentials before sending the order becomes available, then maybe I'd change my stance.

I don't know that brick and mortar stores are doomed to fail, but it doesn't help them that there only means of sale is by in-store visits.

If someone you knew was certified contacted your store by phone or web and requested you ship the product would you refuse the sale? I don't see how that should be an issue. If your an Aqualung dealer you would have to make the customer come to your store.

Here is part of a statement from Auqualung:

http://www.aqualung.com/wtyform.htm

"All authorized Aqua Lung Dealers must execute a Dealer Agreement that does not allow the sale of Aqua Lung products except "in-store."

Dealers are restricted form Phone sales

"If you obtain our product from one of these retailers, your warranty is therefore not valid and we cannot offer you the assurances of quality and satisfaction afforded by the Aqua Lung Warranty Program. If you would like to verify whether or not a retailer is an authorized Aqua Lung Dealer, please call: (760) 597-5000"

If you buy over the phone or web even from a dealer this viods your warranty. Although I don't live far from my LDS what happens if I move to a place that doesn't have an LDS that carries the brand of eq that I like. I can't call my old LDS who knows and has a history with me.

Geek

You sure he aint related to ID? Maybe just a little bit even?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom