The MV ScubaBoard...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Except most relays are ground switched, then the relays controls the positive feed to the component.

Modern boat electronics tend to use circuit breakers not fuses too.

The color codes make troubleshooting much less arduous when you have a problem. I looked at a couple of boats that had been wired and rewired with automotive wire from Billy Bob's Bait, Boat, & Barbecue that needed electrical repairs. I passed on 'em - easier to do a ripout and redo it correctly.
Even with properly colored wires, and there are a lot of different colors - what really helps a LOT are the Ancor write-on shrinkwrap electrical labels - you can write notes to yourself in the future when you're backtracking an electrical problem and everything in the little puka you wedged yourself into looks the same. Unbelievably helpful.

This is what needs to happen:
  1. Thorough Cleaning
  2. Deck Support
  3. Complete Rewire with New Switches and Gauges
  4. Install New Batteries
  5. Drain Old Fuel
  6. Rebuild Carburetor
  7. Install New Plexiglas Windshield.
  8. Figure out Throttle/Shift Linkage (probable rusted cables)
  9. Buy/Install Electronics (Marine Radio and GPS/Depth Finder)
  10. Find/Recover Anchor with Chain :D
  11. Test-Test-Test
  12. Buy Tow Boat USA :D

I am struggling with switching power or switching ground. There are good arguments for both. In a car, the ground is always at the device, but not so with a boat. Most of the devices are near the batteries, so running a ground from the back of the boat seems reasonable. I think I'll just keep the fuse box in the cockpit area (drier) and so will run a single #8 AWG wire to the cockpit from the battery switch. Its a ganged fuse block using 10 blade style fuses. The fuse block has a detachable ground gang as well utilizing spade connectors. I think I'll mount that in the stern area or possibly get one that uses screw down connections.

I see that I will need these circuits that I will run on #12 AWG:
  • Engine Run (Breaker Point Ignition, electric fuel pump & Alternator)
  • Engine Start
  • Trim up
  • Trim down
  • Bilge Pump
  • Running Lights
  • Interior Lights
  • Marine Radio & GPS/Depth Finder
I will also need these on #18 AWG
  • Engine Oil Pressure Light
  • Engine Oil Pressure Gauge
  • Tachometer
  • Voltmeter

With this much stuff to get you're going to need someone in charge of "SUPPLIES!!!"

I couldn't resist!:D

Good luck with the project.

With this much stuff to get you're going to need someone in charge of
SUPPLIES!!!

I couldn't resist!:D

Good luck with the project.
Too freakin' funny. You do have to learn how to use the [spoiler][/spoiler] tags. :D

You'll need a new avatar, Pete ... might I suggest ...

captain-crunch.gif

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Pete, my suggestion would be use all MTW stranded copper wire. The insulation is thick and tough. For most of your controls a 14 or 16 gauge is more than enough and for your fuse block feeder, a 10 gauge would be sufficient. Another suggestion would be before cutting the old harness out, make yourself a schematic of what now exists and try to compare it to what it should be. If you need any drawings or schematics let me know and I can probably provide them. Invest in the proper tool for all of your wire termination connections and if possible, soldering is by far the best prevention against salt water corrosion on terminals. Labeling wires also is a help.

You'll need a new avatar, Pete ... might I suggest ...

captain-crunch.gif

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

He's been promoted, now that he owns a boat, he's Admiral Pete!

peteadmiralcrunch.jpg

Here is a suggestion for his new Avatar...

petecrunch1.jpg

Gotta change that C to an S though ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom