The Most Difficult Skill to Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes Frank, I do! I was in Cozumel in March and it sort of started to 'click' then but we only had the opportunity to do two dives so it was short-lived. But yeah, ephiphany is definitely the word I'd use too!

One thing I will add: I think having had the opportunity to practice this in warm water will help me over the summer when I'm diving at home in the great lakes with all the associated cold-water gear: neoprene, weights, etc. Now that I know I have done it, I can work on replicating it here. Might take awhile, but I'm no quitter!

I think people consciously or subconsciously emulate who they dive with, when they are new(er) divers.

I think this goes for people who are not newer divers, too.

Diving with Danny in Mexico was really good for me. I don't know how he does what he does (or rather, what he doesn't do :) ) but I know that just watching him helped me be quieter. I came home with a determination to dive with far more advanced divers from time to time, even if I have to beg for the opportunity. Luckily, those divers exist where I am, and I know who some of them are. It's just a matter of being brave enough to ask.

I agree Lynne. Watching people who are good at any sport seems to help me get more of a "feel" for how to do it right, much more so than a verbal explanation.

TSandM:
I think this goes for people who are not newer divers, too.

Agree totally, Lynne. I think the point I was trying to make, and probably not succinctly enough, was that new divers don't know enough to know how they should look and behave in the water. They probably subconsciously know they shouldn't be flailing around, but if they dive with people who do, they will probably think it's ok to do that until they see someone who doesn't.

FWIW Lynne, your diving experiences and how far you've come in such a short period of time blow me away!

Diver Dennis:
I agree Lynne. Watching people who are good at any sport seems to help me get more of a "feel" for how to do it right, much more so than a verbal explanation.
And more often than not copying them involves doing a lot less....rather than more! :eyebrow:

Diver Dennis:
The worst place to be is at the top of the food chain (fortunately I don't have to worry about that).

Kim:
And more often than not copying them involves doing a lot less....rather than more! :eyebrow:

Agreed. I finally learned that diving doesn't have to be work. There is a such thing as "right effort," but not wasted effort.

Edit: There IS a such thing as wasted effort, but that's the kind to be avoided, of course. LOL

Actually it reminds me a bit of a scene in "The Last Samurai" where our hero is getting the **** kicked out of him in a practice sword fight using wooden swords. One of the spectators comes up to him and tells him...."No mind!"

When he doesn't understand and asks for clarification he gets told....

"No mind the weather...
No mind the people watching
No mind the opponent...
No mind the sword....

Too much mind!!!!

NO MIND!!!!"

I like that one Kim.

Rick, that's the thing. To get better at something it helps to be with people who are better at it than you. If you have any aptitude for it, you should get better. I was lucky enough to start my U/W photography diving with some pros and watching them made me a better photographer and diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom