The Most Difficult Skill to Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Doing nothing.

Holding still. Perfectly still in the water column. No sculling or kicking – just hanging there motionless. You can do all the ditch-and-dons and free ascents and air shares and valve drills and stage swaps and bag shoots you want – but nothing seems more allusive to more divers than holding perfectly still in the water. Forget adding one of these other skills to the equation!

When I first witnessed this skill, I had my biggest diving epiphany. It was several years and several hundred dives ago. Uncle Pug invited me to dive with him, and we were joined by SnowBear and NWGratefulDiver. I donned my wetsuit, discount sporting goods BC and reg, snorkel, rental AL80 and Atomic split fins, and we headed out into Cove II. At 30’ we came upon a single stubby squid floating about 6’ over the bottom. My three dive partners formed a circle around the squid, hanging there motionless, and lit it up with their HID lights. I tried to join the circle, and suddenly realized that I was about to swim right into the squid, and then past it into another diver! So I quickly started sculling wildly with my hands to propel myself backwards. It worked, kind of, and I avoided the collusion. But as I tried to bring myself to a stop, I plunged down into the bottom and stirred up a giant cloud of silt. The vis around the squid dropped to zero, so the team moved on.

After the dive, no one said anything about the silt-up, my skills (or lack of) or my cheap gear. They were too busy just enjoying talking about the dive. But they didn’t need to say anything. It was obvious to me, after watching these three divers, that they were in another league of diving that I didn’t understand.

Many years, many dives, and many classes later, I still work hard to perfect the art of doing nothing. Last week we were doing a skills dive, and I did what I thought was a fairly decent valve drill. But when I looked down after the drill, I had moved forward about six feet. Darn!! The only reason my buddy didn’t nail me on it after the dive was that he was too busy kicking himself for moving even further during his drill. :eyebrow:

Watch the DIR and DIR-X videos, and you’ll see that in most cases, even those guys are doing tiny back-kicks (while doing, for example, an air share) to maintain their distance from each other.

If you haven't really tried this, and you don't think it's as difficult as I'm saying, on your next dive, you and your buddy face each other four feet apart and see if you can maintain that exact position for one minute without moving.

I said, without moving.

In conclusion, holding perfectly still in the water column, and then reaching up and turning off a valve, or removing something from a pocket, or handing off a reg – and staying exactly where you were…no moving forward, up or down…no little wiggling of the feet or hands… just frozen like a fly in amber…

For me, this is the most difficult diving skill to master.

What about currents? You have to move a little. I can stay still pretty well if I fin pivot.

Learning not to blow all your money on diving every month.

I was working on that very thing yesterday and it is much easier said than done. I'm sure that with practice it will become more natural for me but right now I'm really having to work at it.

I totally agree with you Rick. This is one thing I am aiming for. I dove with a buddy one day and he was hovering there not moving with the closest object about 20 feet away from him and it was beautiful, simply beautiful.

I told myself that when I can do that I can give myself a pat on the back and say that I am a good diver. I am getting close to mastering this. Still need more work though. Soon.

It's not only the hardest thing to master, but for me, it's one of the greatest joys there is underwater.

I've gotten WAY better at it. But then I see somebody like Danny Riordan and realize just how busy and frantic I still am.

It makes diving even more peaceful, and ever more beautiful, to be still.

Edited because I read Rick's post above: Aaaack! Unfair! I wasn't kneeling ANYWHERE in that picture!

I agree 100% ... and I also currently SUCK at it. I can't stay motionless in the water for the life of me, but I keep working on it. It doesn't help that I can't back kick either. So much to work on and just not enough time in the water. What is a guy to do? Oh yea, go try again .... and again ........ and again ......

Lynne doesn't look too happy in that picture. :lol:

I'd say I'm about 90-95% of the way there. I have the occasional fin movement as I'm hovering sometimes.
I also feel that there's a bit too much emphasis placed on "doing nothing". If you're diving in any kind of current or flow, the only way to maintain position is to hold onto something (not preferred) or to kick. I suppose "scooter into the current" is also acceptable, but not for us mere mortals. :wink:
While doing nothing is good in lakes and quarries or even the ocean if there's little or no current...other times, you just need to kick a bit to stay where you are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom