The Most Difficult Skill to Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LIVES4SHARKS:
When I told my instructor that I have been working on my diving and especially in the pool...he flat out said that I couldn't learn buoyancy in the pool.
That is a patently ridiculous statement. In fact, I would argue that a pool is the best place to learn about buoyancy. If you can hold horizontal trim and do skills in 4 feet of water, then you can do it anywhere. Deeper water makes these skills easier, not harder.

LIVES4SHARKS:
When I went to the Bahamas, I was the only one truly holding trim, then was told that my frog kick was useless in OW. [...] So I was shunned by the same group that trained me because I was no longer part of THEIR club. ( The long hose and JET fins really kept me out of the COOL group).
Ancient proverb - "Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it". I am often astounded at the pronouncements about "what will or won't work" that come out of some diver's mouths. More often than not it is someone who should really know better (like an instructor or a dive shop owner).

Personally I think you are on the right track. I know you have been working with Perrone, and I am sure he is telling you Good Stuff and not BS. Keep listening to the people who are working to make you a better diver, and steer clear of the ones who are doing otherwise.

FYI, all the "cool kids" are wearing Jetfins these days. :wink:

LIVES4SHARKS:
I went into another LDS and [...] they asked me "SO...you like to dive HORIZONTAL?" As if I was an alien from another water world!
You mean like a fish?

THANKS DIR-ATLANTA!!! Feels good to be welcome by such wonderful people! I think that is what draws me back to High Springs! Perrone has introduced me to such wonderful divers and shops! I am glad I have him to help me with my diving! Hopefully cavern class will be just a few more months away! I have only just begun, and I understand that diving well and diving with little effort takes so much practice and continued learning! I am happy to do it, even if it is getting into the pool and just hanging out for awhile as motionless as possible! (Until I attempt task load then it is back to reality and offkilter I go!) I will do anything to get my gills wet nowadays!

Yes I am like a fish...a really big one that has lots of teeth, but is willing to "nibble" first! (insert theme from "JAWS" here!) LOL!

Happy HORIZONTAL Diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

LIVES4SHARKS:
When I told my instructor that I have been working on my diving and especially in the pool...he flat out said that I couldn't learn buoyancy in the pool.
As DIR-Atlanta already noted, your instructor is flat out wrong. Such a statement indicates he doesn't understand buoyancy control or the really simple physics involved.:shakehead

I guess the hour I spent in my pool today practicing being still and videotaping a friend's frogkick was wasted, then? :D

:lol:

Another convert getting a hard time from their LDS... Hmmm who does that remind us of? Lynne where's that old post of your... can't find it. The one where the LDS wasn't supporting your gear choices.

JeffG:
Thats because you aren't using a BP/W.

Oh yeah, that's it for sure!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom