The Most Difficult Skill to Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Slow and relaxed with good technique" usually applies to both, as well. :wink:
Remember--you should be in control of the song, not the song controlling you. :D

Just as in diving--you should control the dive instead of having the dive control you...

Fish_Whisperer:
Something just occurred to me: The reason why I love playing the piano and scuba diving -- two seemingly completely unrelated activities -- is because there's never a point where you can say, "I've mastered all there is to master! There IS no more. I've gone as far as I possibly can!" There's always another step... Always a new skill to be mastered or improved upon, and it's always different and always interesting. :)
An apt analogy ... it's not even so much that there are new skills to master as it is that there are always higher levels to take the skills you already have. Diving, like music, is as much about emotional and intellectual involvement as it is about the physical skills themselves ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Diving, like music, is as much about emotional and intellectual involvement as it is about the physical skills themselves ...
I think of it as a mixture of art and science. The science is in the technology, the phsyiology, and the physics that make diving possible, but once in the the water, I think of diving as a performance art.

The balance and poise required for good "doing nothing" skills....kinda like underwater ballet :wink:
With all the tech gear on, it's MANLY ballet, though. :rofl3:

The reason why I love playing the piano and scuba diving -- two seemingly completely unrelated activities -- is because there's never a point where you can say, "I've mastered all there is to master! There IS no more. I've gone as far as I possibly can!" There's always another step... Always a new skill to be mastered or improved upon, and it's always different and always interesting.

Frank, I would love to meet you. Dressage, my first love, is precisely like that . . . You can never attain perfection, and the artwork you can create is ephemeral. There is a reason why I went DIR. Perfection in diving is the same unattainable ideal. One has to focus upon, and enjoy, the journey.

e·phem·er·al /ɪˈfɛmərəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-fem-er-uhl]
–adjective
1. lasting a very short time; short-lived; transitory: the ephemeral joys of childhood.
2. lasting but one day: an ephemeral flower.
–noun
3. anything short-lived, as certain insects.
[Origin: 1570–80; < Gk ephmer(os) short-lived, lasting but a day (ep- ep- + hémér(a) day + -os adj. suffix) + -al1]

I'm not the only one who had to look it up am I?

I'm good for something -- you guys are improving your vocabularies. Claudette enjoyed asymptotic and perseverating, too. :)

Thanks Ben. You saved me from having to use the dictionary function on my Mac. :wink:

SparticleBrane:
Thanks Ben. You saved me from having to use the dictionary function on my Mac. :wink:
ephemeral and asymtotic I knew, but I had to look up perseverating- just a click away on my Mighty Mouse, and poof! Widgets!!! :)

(of course "look up in dictionary" comes up in the contextual menu as well)

do it easy:
ephemeral and asymtotic I knew, but I had to look up perseverating- just a click away on my Mighty Mouse, and poof! Widgets!!! :)

(of course "look up in dictionary" comes up in the contextual menu as well)
I have Active Corners enabled so I just sling my mouse to the upper right corner of my screen and voilá...widgets. :D
You could always get this in Safari by holding your mouse over a word and hitting Ctrl+applekey+D. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom