The Most Difficult Skill to Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd have to say... The WARHAMMER Maneuver

Rick, you stated this so beautifully. I know that "aha" moment. Dsteding, RJack and TSandM demonstrated it for me and loaned me a DVD demonstrating the skill of doing "nothing". I'm so glad that your description of your early dive with Uncle Pug so mirrored my one and only dive with Grateful Diver Bob! I've been embarrassed about that lst dive with my new b.p.wing ever since, but I guess I wasn't as unique in my clumsiness as I'd feared :) After an additional 50+ dives, I'm just beginning to achieve my own
intermmitent "aha" moments.

After seeing what it looks like when you're diving gracefully
and that it's possible to "do nothing", I knew that I'd have to someday master (or at least nearly) that/those skills and that I'd never be satisfied with myself until I do.

I have finally found a couple of giving and patient tech divers in my area who are willing to model and practice skills with me. It's been a fantastic gift, even if I don't go tech. down the road. It's disappointing how few purely recreational divers want to meet and just go do
safety drills and buoyancy drills, and practice true buddy awareness or even have buddy awareness.
I think those are the most difficult skills and are invariably intertwined. The other is getting my SAC/RMV rates to be
more alike from dive to dive and feeling equally comfortable from dive to dive.

jim T.:
I'm so glad that your description of your early dive with Uncle Pug so mirrored my one and only dive with Grateful Diver Bob! I've been embarrassed about that lst dive with my new b.p.wing ever since, but I guess I wasn't as unique in my clumsiness as I'd feared :)
You have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. The only thing I'd be embarrassed about would be coming back a year later with no improvement. :wink:

How about a motionless warhammer?

^ Good point. Teamwork is quite difficult to get perfected.

Something just occurred to me: The reason why I love playing the piano and scuba diving -- two seemingly completely unrelated activities -- is because there's never a point where you can say, "I've mastered all there is to master! There IS no more. I've gone as far as I possibly can!" There's always another step... Always a new skill to be mastered or improved upon, and it's always different and always interesting. :)

Back
Top Bottom