The Morrison Spring Cavern Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am so jealous! Morrison is such a beautiful cavern. I wish I could be there.

The rubble/sand/rock where the flow is coming out at the deepest point is supposedly where the cave used to be :p Wish I coulda seen it pre-kablooey.

That was what I was trying to say...the rubble is right by the big rock that rises from the bottom...I wonder if that large rock was part of the arch?

The rubble/sand/rock where the flow is coming out at the deepest point is supposedly where the cave used to be :p Wish I coulda seen it pre-kablooey.

I did some research and application work on sharpness over Turkey Day. I took some test shots to see what the aperture sweet spot is for the 14-54 mm and my E-330. Seems to be close between f11 and f13. I may opt for the f11 to allow a little more light. I also did some reading and testing concerning the hyperfocal point for my set-up. According to the calculator the hyperfocal distance is around 3.25 feet. The markings on the guide of the lens are not very precise - they go from 3 foot to infinity with no other marks. The basic thing I get from my experiment and research is that infinity is not the best setting. Closer to the 3 foot mark should get us good focus from 3 foot to infinity. I'll have to try the new settings underwater again to see how much they improve sharpness.

I bought a new cheap tripod today. It is built much better than the last one. I'll have to make some modifications to hold the bracket but it looks like this one will do the job.

That is good to hear. I knew you would figure it out. I hope the tripod will work out also. That should make things much easier. So, when do you want to do some more testing?

I did some research and application work on sharpness over Turkey Day. I took some test shots to see what the aperture sweet spot is for the 14-54 mm and my E-330. Seems to be close between f11 and f13. I may opt for the f11 to allow a little more light. I also did some reading and testing concerning the hyperfocal point for my set-up. According to the calculator the hyperfocal distance is around 3.25 feet. The markings on the guide of the lens are not very precise - they go from 3 foot to infinity with no other marks. The basic thing I get from my experiment and research is that infinity is not the best setting. Closer to the 3 foot mark should get us good focus from 3 foot to infinity. I'll have to try the new settings underwater again to see how much they improve sharpness.

I bought a new cheap tripod today. It is built much better than the last one. I'll have to make some modifications to hold the bracket but it looks like this one will do the job.

I've been granted by the county special premission for a group of 4-5 to dive Morrison. I'm working out the details with them. We'll be allowed to use the park and it's facilities. I've been granted this permission because I'm planning on filming an episode of my dive series profiling Morrison and it's improvments. The permission is granted to me and my "crew". So if you want to dive Morrison legally before it's open and don't mind helping a little then your in.
I'll let you know the details once I iron them out. They'd like for us to be there on Monday but I'm pushing back for Sunday since we all have jobs and we're volunteering.

While we're here we can try the Morrison Cavern lighting project.

That is GREAT news. Keep us posted on the dates you are thinking about. Hopefully we can be a part of your "crew." When you talked to them about Morrison...did they give you any insight as to when they are planning on opening Morrison to the public?

I've been granted by the county special premission for a group of 4-5 to dive Morrison. I'm working out the details with them. We'll be allowed to use the park and it's facilities. I've been granted this permission because I'm planning on filming an episode of my dive series profiling Morrison and it's improvments. The permission is granted to me and my "crew". So if you want to dive Morrison legally before it's open and don't mind helping a little then your in.
I'll let you know the details once I iron them out. They'd like for us to be there on Monday but I'm pushing back for Sunday since we all have jobs and we're volunteering.

While we're here we can try the Morrison Cavern lighting project.

I'm trying to get them to agree to this Sunday. They're trying to get us out there on Monday. I've told them that we're all volunteers that have regular jobs. I suspect that they'll give in. But as it stands I do have permission. They whole "weekday" thing is because they're going to get a Parks and Rec guy out there.

I'll keep everyone posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom